Eastern health mental health support feels hard to find

I’ve been trying to figure out where to get mental health and addictions support through Eastern Health, and the information feels scattered. I find one page that sounds promising, then it leads to another service with different contact details or requirements. By that point I’m already worn out and less likely to keep calling.

I understand there may be waitlists and different programs for different needs, but it would help to have one clear starting point, with plain details about who can use each service and what happens after contacting them. Has anyone found a straightforward way to get connected with the right Eastern Health program?

1 Like

Mark, the changing contact details sound like the biggest barrier, especially when you’re already drained. It shouldn’t take several calls just to figure out which door to use.

When I was trying to find the right local service, I wrote down the program name, phone number, eligibility notes, and whether a referral was needed before calling. I still had to ask them to point me elsewhere, but having those details in one place made it easier to keep track.

2 Likes

@Jorge_Mitchell, writing down the referral requirements was a smart move. I’ve found that asking for the person’s name and the next step during each call can prevent having to start over later.

A simple checklist would make this much less exhausting, especially if it included expected wait times and whether voicemail messages are returned. Even a single updated intake number would be a big improvement.

@Jorge_Mitchell, keeping the program name and referral details together was a practical idea. I started using one notes page for calls, including the date, staff member’s name, and the exact next step they gave me. That saved me from repeating the whole story every time.

The most useful question for me was, “If this isn’t the right service, who should I contact next, and do I need a referral?” Asking that before ending the call made the handoffs a little less confusing.