Drugs helped me numb things but now depression feels worse

I used drugs because they made everything go quiet for a while. I didn’t have to think about the anger, sadness, or stuff I was avoiding. But now the numbness has worn off, and the depression feels heavier than it did before.

Some days I can’t tell what’s from the drugs, what’s withdrawal, and what’s just me underneath all of it. I feel flat, guilty, and tired, but my mind still won’t slow down. The worst part is knowing the thing I used to escape is now making it harder to feel normal.

I’m trying not to romanticize how it used to help, because it only gave me a break and then took more back. I know I probably need proper support, but admitting how bad it got is hard. Has anyone else felt more depressed after stopping or cutting back?

1 Like

That part about not knowing what’s withdrawal and what’s underneath it really messed with my head too. I kept expecting to feel normal quickly, then felt worse when I didn’t. It helped me to stop trying to figure out the exact cause every hour and just treat the symptoms seriously.

Please don’t wait until you can explain everything perfectly before asking for help. A doctor or addiction counselor can help sort out withdrawal, depression, and any safety concerns. If you’re having thoughts of hurting yourself, or feel like you might use dangerously, call emergency services or a crisis line now.

2 Likes

The waiting for “normal” to come back can really mess with your expectations. I’ve caught myself checking my mood every few minutes, like I could solve it by thinking harder, and it usually just makes the whole day feel heavier.

Treating the symptoms instead of trying to label every feeling makes sense. Eating something, getting some sleep, and telling a doctor the plain truth seems more useful than trying to figure out whether every bad hour is withdrawal or depression. yeah, safety needs to come first if using or self-harm starts feeling close.

@Destiny_George, the hourly checking really hit home. I used to wake up and immediately measure my mood, energy, and cravings, then panic when none of them had improved. It became another way to stay stuck in my head.

Writing down the symptoms once a day helped me be more honest without picking them apart constantly. I could bring that list to a doctor instead of trying to explain everything while exhausted.