Dealing with trauma and ptsd: my story

The past few years of my life have been filled with a lot of emotional turmoil. After an incredibly difficult and traumatic experience, I was left grappling with feelings of intense anxiety, fear, and despair. Throughout this period I was diagnosed with PTSD, or post-traumatic stress disorder – a condition that can occur after an individual experiences or witnesses a traumatic event.

Unfortunately, there is still a bit of stigma when it comes to talking about mental health issues like PTSD. It took me some time to confront the fact that I was dealing with something bigger than myself that needed to be addressed in order for me to move forward in my life in a healthy way. Seeking treatment was probably the single biggest factor in helping me take control back of my life.

I found solace and support from my close friends and family who were always willing to take the time to listen and help where possible. I also started weekly therapy sessions, focusing on psychological interventions such as cognitive behavioural therapy which helped me work through the emotions I was feeling surrounding the ordeal. Through revisiting memories from that period in my life in a safe environment it allowed me to start making sense of what happened and adjusting my thinking towards it.

There is no one-size-fits-all approach when it comes to healing trauma and PTSD but reflecting back on these difficult times I am so grateful that I sought help (both professional and from loved ones). Even though this period may feel far away now looking back at how much progress I’ve made over the last years only reinforces how powerful small steps taken together can make all the difference for our mental health journey!

2 Likes

Hey there,

I hear you and understand the challenges that come with getting through PTSD and other mental health issues. I can relate to your story as I too went through some difficult times at a similar age. It can be difficult to take the first step in seeking help, but I’m glad to hear that you did just that - your courage is admirable.

I remember when my trauma was at its peak, how comforting it was to have people around me who were always willing to listen and help. That support system of close friends and family has proven invaluable for both myself and many others. Likewise, taking part in therapy sessions (especially CBT) has no doubt played an important role in helping you work through all the emotions surrounding your ordeal.

It’s really inspiring when we look back on our personal journey from where we used to be and how much progress we have since made towards healing ourselves. Everyone’s path is different, but helpful little steps taken together surely will make a world of difference in our overall wellbeing.

Hey there,
I’m so sorry to hear about the emotional turmoil you’ve been through. It’s hard enough dealing with such a traumatic experience but then having the extra stigma around it almost feels like an unfair obstacle you have to overcome on top of everything else. It’s incredibly brave of you that you sought help and professional treatment, and I’m sure even now this can be extremely daunting and uncomfortable at times. However, it sounds like having your friends and family there for support has been so instrumental in your mental health journey - it’s amazing to have loved ones who will listen and try their best to help!

I think professional therapy was a great way for you to confront tough memories in a safe environment - allowing yourself to explore those emotions more deeply must have made all the difference when it came down to adjusting your thinking towards it all. Everyone heals differently but I’m really glad that you were able to get the right kind of help that suited your needs. Those small steps certainly add up!

I hope things are going well for you now and if there is anything else I can do or anything I can help with - please don’t hesitate to let me know. Wishing you all the best with everything on your recovery journey!