Dealing with severe anxiety: my story

The first thing I want to say is to any of you dealing with severe anxiety out there - you’re not alone. Anxiety can be incredibly difficult to deal with and it’s taken me a long time to understand and accept my emotions.

I started having panic attacks in my early twenties, and they made a huge impact on my life. It took a lot of work over the years but I eventually came to terms with my condition. I had trouble managing intense feelings of fear and uncertainty in many situations, from feeling overwhelmed in large crowds to avoiding situations where I could be judged harshly.

I sought help early on from professionals who helped me develop tools to manage those feelings, including healthy coping strategies such as regular exercise, meditation, mindful breathing techniques, and journaling. I also found it helpful to speak openly about my anxieties and emotions with people that I trusted so that I felt supported emotionally when facing difficult challenges.

My life has changed drastically since then - these tools have enabled me to take control of my anxiety instead of letting it control me. Working through this experience has been challenging but ultimately very empowering mentally and emotionally as well. My message for anyone struggling with severe anxiety is that there is hope and help out there - trust yourself and reach out for support today!

1 Like

Thank you for sharing your story. It’s so important for people to know that they’re not alone in dealing with anxiety. I can relate to the overwhelming feelings and avoiding certain situations, but I found that seeking help and developing coping strategies really made a difference for me. It’s great that you were able to find support and tools to take control of your anxiety. I totally agree that reaching out for help is key. It’s not easy, but it’s so worth it in the end. Keep taking care of yourself and remember that there’s always hope.