Dealing with severe anxiety attacks

Dealing with severe anxiety attacks can be overwhelming and frightening. I’ve experienced them for years, and there isn’t a good way to predict when they’ll come or how bad they’ll be. For me, the worst part is the feeling of intense dread that starts in my chest and spreads through my body. My heart races, my palms sweat and often I’m so wracked with fear that I can hardly catch my breath.

Sometimes I’m able to recognize the signs of an attack coming on—like tingling in my hands or an inability to concentrate—and take appropriate steps to protect myself before it gets too bad. Other times it feels like I don’t even see it coming until it’s already at full force. Even though these episodes are incredibly difficult and draining, surely there must be something I can do to lessen their impact over time and learn how to better cope with them when they hit.

I’m doing everything I can by reaching out for help, keeping a positive attitude, exercising regularly, eating well and getting enough sleep, but sometimes these things don’t seem to make much of a difference in preventing or helping me during an attack. It’s a long road ahead of learning how best to manage these episodes, but one thing is certain: with commitment and practice, anything is possible.

7 Likes

I hear you and I’m sorry that you’re going through this. Anxiety attacks are so hard to handle and it’s clear that you have been trying your best by doing all the right things. Although it’s not easy, I believe progress can be made with determination and consistency.

Personally, I have also experienced anxiety attacks for a long period of time and I understand how draining it can be both physically and mentally. Some days are better than others, but I’ve found learning relaxation techniques to be incredibly helpful. Focus on taking slow, deep breaths when an attack begins to strike (meditation apps/videos may help). Picking up a hobby or activity you really enjoy is another way to redirect your attention away from the symptoms (for me, art & gardening have done the trick).

Above all, please remember that there is hope for managing your anxiety. Speak with a trusted friend or family member about how they can support you. Consider reaching out to a mental health professional if possible - sometimes getting perspective from others may help lighten the load. Hang in there!

Hi, I completely understand where you’re coming from. I suffer from anxiety too, and it can be so overwhelming. Learning how to cope with these episodes is no easy task, but there are some strategies that can be helpful in easing the intensity of the symptoms when they hit.

First off, remind yourself that having a panic attack is not “bad” or “wrong,” even though it might not feel that way in the moment. Find ways to try and make your environment as comfortable as possible, like turning on soothing music and trying progressive muscle relaxation techniques. It’s also important to take time for yourself and practice self-care activities like reading, stretching or taking a bath–anything that helps you focus on calming your body down.

Finally, don’t forget to be patient with yourself throughout this process. Changing our behavior and thought patterns takes time, so just keep taking small steps forwards each day. We can both get through this together!

I completely understand how overwhelming and frightening it can be to have severe anxiety attacks. I’ve experienced them as well, and the feeling of dread that takes hold is definitely something that’s hard to shake off. I can relate to not being able to predict when or how bad an attack will be, but what consistently helps me is being mindful of my body’s responses. Paying attention to even the smallest indication of an oncoming attack gives me a chance to prepare for or cope with it in advance.

I fully agree that with tons of commitment and practice, anything is possible. Being intentional about things like getting enough sleep, exercise, and eating right definitely has helped me manage my anxiety better over time. A positive outlook holds a lot of power as well - choosing to look at small victories instead of dwelling on setbacks can make all the difference in being able to keep up the momentum when dealing with anxiety or any other challenging situation. Keeping open communication channels with loved ones Physical and emotional support is important too - having someone who understands you makes a massive difference.

I’m sure it’ll take some patience and work in finding out what works best for you personally when managing your attacks. Just remember that I’m here if you need someone to talk it through

Hey there, I can totally relate to what you’re going through. I’ve struggled with severe anxiety attacks for years too, and it can definitely feel overwhelming. It sounds like you’re already taking some really positive steps to manage your anxiety, like reaching out for help, exercising, and taking care of yourself. That’s awesome! It’s frustrating when all of that still doesn’t seem to make a difference, but keep in mind that progress can be gradual. Have you considered therapy or counseling? I’ve found that talking to a professional has been really helpful in learning coping techniques and strategies. Also, don’t be too hard on yourself when you have a bad episode. It’s okay to have setbacks, and it doesn’t mean you’re failing. Keep at it, and I believe that with time and effort, things can get better for both of us. Hang in there, you’re not alone in this.

Hey, I totally get where you’re coming from. Dealing with anxiety attacks is no joke, and it can feel like an uphill battle. It’s awesome that you’re reaching out for help and taking care of yourself through exercise, diet, and sleep. I’ve found that therapy has been really helpful for me in learning coping strategies and understanding triggers. Keep in mind that everyone’s journey with anxiety is different, so it might take some trial and error to find what works best for you. Just know that you’re not alone in this and there are plenty of resources and support out there. Hang in there, and keep pushing forward. You’ve got this!

Hey, I hear you and I’ve been there too. Anxiety attacks can really feel like they come out of nowhere and knock you off your feet. It sounds like you’re already doing a lot of great things to take care of yourself, like reaching out for help, exercising, and taking care of your physical health. That’s awesome! Sometimes it can feel like these things aren’t making a difference, but remember that every little bit helps, even if it’s not immediately obvious. Have you considered talking to a therapist about coping strategies for when the attacks hit? They can provide some great techniques for managing the physical and emotional symptoms. It can be a long process, but with time and practice, things can definitely get better. Hang in there, and keep taking those small steps to care for yourself. You’ve got this!

I’m so sorry to hear that you’re going through this. It sounds really tough, and I can understand how overwhelming and scary it must be. It’s great that you’re reaching out for help and taking care of yourself by staying positive, exercising, eating well, and getting enough sleep. It’s true that sometimes these things don’t make much of a difference, but it’s important to keep trying and not give up. Have you considered therapy or counseling? It can be really helpful to have a professional guide you through different coping strategies and techniques. Remember, you’re not alone in this and there are people who care about you and want to help. Keep reaching out and taking small steps, and hopefully things will start to improve over time. Stay strong, and remember that you have the strength to overcome this.