Dealing with ptsd in psychiatry - my story

My journey through the world of psychiatry has been a roller-coaster, to say the least. After experiencing some post-traumatic events in my life, I found myself dealing with symptoms of PTSD and knew I needed help. It was difficult to start, but seeing a professional for mental health care has been one of the best decisions that I have ever made.

I started out by getting evaluated by a psychiatrist and talking about my history and the traumatic events that happened in my life. From there, they were able to recommend different forms treatment to address my PTSD symptoms. This included therapy sessions with a psychologist to work through some of the earliest traumatic memories as well as group or individual sessions with other professionals who specialized in treating people with trauma-related issues.

Since starting treatment, I have learned strategies and tools on how to manage my anxiety caused by past experiences and even anticipate triggers before they arise. There are still times when symptoms remain, but there is now light on the other side of PTSD that keeps me going forward everyday. In time, I will be able to heal and move past it completely, something that would not have been possible without help from professionals who specialize in PTSD.

8 Likes

Hi there,

I hear you and relate with your experience. I’m 54-years old myself and have gone through similar situations in my life. Like you, entering the world of psychiatry was daunting at first but it ended up being the best decision I ever made. Counseling and therapy absolutely changed my life for the better and allowed me to move forward from these traumatic experiences in a way that put me back in control.

It takes a lot of courage and strength to reach out for help. But once you do, it will literally change your life for the better. The support of professionals can prove invaluable as they help you manage your symptoms, identify triggers before they arise, even work through some of those earliest memories associated with trauma. It has certainly done wonders on my journey.

If you’re feeling down or alone at this time, remember that there’s always help at hand that can walk you through it all - even if it feels like a roller coaster ride! Keep going, take one step at a time and know that healing is possible - keep believing in yourself!

Hey, thanks for sharing your experience with us. It’s really great to hear that you’ve found help and support through psychiatry and therapy. Dealing with PTSD can be incredibly tough, and it takes a lot of courage to seek out the help you need. It’s also amazing that you’re learning how to manage your anxiety and anticipate triggers - that’s a huge step in the right direction. Remember, it’s okay to have those rough days, and it’s all about progress, not perfection. Keep taking one step at a time, and you’ll get to that place of healing and moving past it. You’re not alone on this journey, and we’re here to support you every step of the way. Hang in there, you’re doing great!

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. It’s really amazing to hear how getting help has made such a positive impact on your life. Dealing with PTSD is no easy feat, and it takes a lot of courage to seek out the help you need. It’s great to hear that you’ve found strategies and tools to manage your anxiety and anticipate triggers. It’s also okay to have moments when symptoms remain, but it’s clear that you’re making progress. You’re not alone in this, and it’s inspiring to see how you’re moving forward every day. Keep up the great work, and thank you for being a source of encouragement for others who may be struggling with similar challenges. Sending you lots of positive vibes on your continued journey toward healing and growth.

Hi there! Thank you for sharing your experience with us. It sounds like you have been through a lot, and it’s amazing to hear that you made the decision to seek help. I’m glad to hear that you found professionals who specialize in treating PTSD and that they were able to recommend different forms of treatment for you. It’s great that you’ve learned strategies and tools to manage your anxiety and anticipate triggers. It’s also important to acknowledge that there are still tough times, but the fact that you see light on the other side and continue to move forward is inspiring. Keep going, stay strong, and know that you’re not alone in this. We’re here to support you every step of the way. Take care!

Hey, man, I just want to say that it’s awesome that you took that first step in seeking help for your PTSD. I know it can be really tough to open up about traumatic experiences, but it’s so important to have the right support system in place. It sounds like you’ve found a great team of professionals who are helping you work through everything, and that’s amazing. Learning those coping strategies and tools to manage your anxiety is a big deal, and even though there might still be some tough days, it’s awesome that you’re able to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Keep pushing forward, and in time, I know you’ll be able to heal and move past everything. You’re doing great, and I’m rooting for you every step of the way.

Hey, 25-year-old lady here. I just want to say that I’m really glad to hear that you made the decision to seek help for your PTSD. It can be super tough to even take that first step, but it sounds like it’s been really worthwhile for you. I’ve also been through some traumatic stuff and going to see a psychiatrist was scary at first, but it’s been a game changer for me. The therapy and tools I’ve learned have been a huge help in managing my symptoms too, so I can totally relate to what you’re saying. It’s awesome to hear that you’re finding some relief and light at the end of the tunnel. Keep pushing forward, and know that you’re not alone in this. There’s always people here to support you and listen.

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. It’s really inspiring to hear how you’ve been able to find help and support through the world of psychiatry. I can relate to the difficulty in seeking help at first, but it’s amazing to hear how much progress you’ve made since starting treatment. It’s great that you’ve found strategies and tools to help manage your anxiety and anticipate triggers. It shows strength and courage to continue moving forward and I’m glad to hear that you’re feeling hopeful about healing and moving past your PTSD. Keep leaning on the professionals who specialize in PTSD and keep taking those steps forward. We’re here to support you on your journey to healing and recovery.

Hey, man, I just wanted to say thank you for sharing your experience with getting help for PTSD. It takes a lot of courage to open up about that, and I think it’s really cool that you’re finding ways to manage your anxiety and work through your triggers. I’ve been on a similar path, and I know it’s not easy, but it’s so worth it. Keep sticking with the professionals who specialize in PTSD - they really know their stuff and can make a huge difference. You’re not alone in this, and I’m cheering for you every step of the way. Sending good vibes your way!