Dealing with ptsd in psychiatry - my story

My journey through the world of psychiatry has been a roller-coaster, to say the least. After experiencing some post-traumatic events in my life, I found myself dealing with symptoms of PTSD and knew I needed help. It was difficult to start, but seeing a professional for mental health care has been one of the best decisions that I have ever made.

I started out by getting evaluated by a psychiatrist and talking about my history and the traumatic events that happened in my life. From there, they were able to recommend different forms treatment to address my PTSD symptoms. This included therapy sessions with a psychologist to work through some of the earliest traumatic memories as well as group or individual sessions with other professionals who specialized in treating people with trauma-related issues.

Since starting treatment, I have learned strategies and tools on how to manage my anxiety caused by past experiences and even anticipate triggers before they arise. There are still times when symptoms remain, but there is now light on the other side of PTSD that keeps me going forward everyday. In time, I will be able to heal and move past it completely, something that would not have been possible without help from professionals who specialize in PTSD.

2 Likes

Hi there,

I hear you and relate with your experience. I’m 54-years old myself and have gone through similar situations in my life. Like you, entering the world of psychiatry was daunting at first but it ended up being the best decision I ever made. Counseling and therapy absolutely changed my life for the better and allowed me to move forward from these traumatic experiences in a way that put me back in control.

It takes a lot of courage and strength to reach out for help. But once you do, it will literally change your life for the better. The support of professionals can prove invaluable as they help you manage your symptoms, identify triggers before they arise, even work through some of those earliest memories associated with trauma. It has certainly done wonders on my journey.

If you’re feeling down or alone at this time, remember that there’s always help at hand that can walk you through it all - even if it feels like a roller coaster ride! Keep going, take one step at a time and know that healing is possible - keep believing in yourself!

Hey, thanks for sharing your experience with us. It’s really great to hear that you’ve found help and support through psychiatry and therapy. Dealing with PTSD can be incredibly tough, and it takes a lot of courage to seek out the help you need. It’s also amazing that you’re learning how to manage your anxiety and anticipate triggers - that’s a huge step in the right direction. Remember, it’s okay to have those rough days, and it’s all about progress, not perfection. Keep taking one step at a time, and you’ll get to that place of healing and moving past it. You’re not alone on this journey, and we’re here to support you every step of the way. Hang in there, you’re doing great!