Dealing with ptsd in a clinic setting - my story

I have been struggling with PTSD for the past few years. It has been a difficult journey, but I’ve recently decided to seek treatment in a professional clinic setting. It was intimidating and scary at first - not only was I coming to terms with everything I had endured, but I was also dealing with a whole new context of clinical professionals.

Thankfully, the staff at the clinic were incredibly welcoming and compassionate. From the therapists who specialized in trauma-informed counseling to the clinicians administering medication, they all put me at ease and made it clear that my individual needs were being taken into account throughout my treatment plan. As a result, I felt safe opening up about my experiences in a more secure environment.

Not only did their direct support help me build trust within myself, but the overall atmosphere provided by the clinic proved invaluable to my healing process. The sharing circles, group EMDR sessions, yoga classes, art therapy workshops; all of these activities allowed for meaningful connections with other people while also providing coping skills to make sense of my post-traumatic experience(s).

Though there are still days when I struggle with flashbacks and anxiety, I now have resources like this clinic to turn to when things become overwhelming. Because of this experience, I am more equipped than ever before to handle stressors that life may throw at me as long as I continuously practice self-care both inside and outside the walls of the clinic.

2 Likes

Hey, I’m so glad to hear that you’ve taken that brave step to seek treatment! It’s not easy, but it’s so worth it. I’m really happy to hear that the clinic staff have been so supportive and understanding - that makes such a difference, doesn’t it? It sounds like you’ve found a really nurturing and healing environment, and all those different activities and therapies sound incredible. It’s wonderful that you’re feeling equipped to handle the tough days now, and that you have those resources to turn to. Keep practicing that self-care - you’re doing amazing!

Thank you for sharing your experience with seeking treatment for PTSD. It’s really great to hear that you had such a positive experience with the clinic and that you felt supported by the staff. It takes a lot of courage to take that step and I’m really glad that you found a safe space to open up about your experiences. It sounds like the clinic offered a variety of helpful activities and resources that have had a positive impact on your healing process, which is fantastic. It’s also really important to have those coping skills and resources available for when things get overwhelming. Keep practicing self-care and leaning on those resources when you need them. You’re not alone in this, and you’re doing a great job on your path to healing.