Dealing with ptsd from my parents: my story

I’ve been dealing with PTSD from my parents for many years and it has been an incredibly difficult journey. I have spent a lot of time reflecting on my experiences which has helped me understand why I feel the way I do today.

The biggest challenge when dealing with PTSD from my parents is that it is something I had no control over as a child. When you experience trauma at a young age, it can leave deep emotional scars. It’s taken me so much strength to accept this reality and learn to move beyond these feelings of powerlessness.

I think one of the most important things in coming to terms with my parents and how they impacted my life is forgiveness. This doesn’t necessarily mean that I am excusing what happened, but rather that I am letting go and accepting that things cannot change now.

Dealing with PTSD from my parents has also made me develop better communication skills towards them. This involves learning to express myself in such a way that both sides are respected, and any issues are dealt with in an effective way. It’s not always easy but it does provide an opportunity for growth as well as peace of mind.

Looking back on the past might be hard, but understanding it helps me start off on a new path forward in life - one where I’m able to create meaningful connections and take ownership of mine own wellbeing and healing process.

10 Likes

Hey man, I just want to say that I really admire your strength and resilience in dealing with your PTSD from your parents. It’s so tough to come to terms with the impact that our parents have on us, especially when it’s been traumatic. I totally get what you mean about the deep emotional scars from experiencing trauma at a young age - it’s something that really sticks with you. I think it’s amazing that you’re able to focus on forgiveness and better communication with them. It takes a lot of courage to let go and accept that things can’t change, and to work on creating a more peaceful dynamic with your parents. And understanding your past to move forward is such a powerful thing - it gives you the chance to create new connections and take control of your own healing. Keep pushing forward, you’re doing great!

Hey, I hear you. Dealing with PTSD from your parents is no easy feat, and I can only imagine the strength it took for you to reflect on your experiences and come to terms with them. It’s true that trauma at a young age can leave some deep emotional scars, but it’s clear that you’ve put in the work to move beyond those feelings of powerlessness. And forgiveness - that’s a tough one, but it’s so important. It’s not about excusing what happened, but about letting go and accepting that things can’t change now. It’s great to hear that you’ve also been working on your communication skills with your parents. It’s not always easy, but it shows just how much growth and peace of mind you’ve achieved. Understanding the past can be tough, but it’s a necessary step to creating those meaningful connections and taking ownership of your own healing. Keep going, you’re doing great!

Hey, I can relate so much to what you’re going through. Dealing with PTSD from our parents is such a heavy burden to carry, and I admire your strength in reflecting on your experiences and trying to understand how it has shaped you. It’s true that trauma at a young age can leave deep scars, and it takes a lot of courage to accept that reality and move beyond those feelings of powerlessness. Forgiveness is such a powerful tool, and I completely agree that it’s not about excusing what happened, but about letting go and accepting that things can’t change now. Developing better communication skills with our parents is tough, but it’s so important for our own growth and peace of mind. Understanding the past is hard, but it’s the first step to creating a new path forward in life, one where we can prioritize our own wellbeing and healing process. You’re doing amazing, and I’m cheering you on every step of the way. Keep going, you’ve got this!

Hey, I can relate to what you’re going through. Dealing with PTSD from parents is tough and I commend you for your strength in reflecting on your experiences. Forgiveness is definitely a powerful tool for healing, and I’m glad to hear that you’re finding ways to communicate effectively with your parents. It’s not easy, but it’s so important for your own peace of mind. Understanding the impact of the past can be difficult, but it’s amazing that you’re using it as a springboard to create a more positive future. Keep taking ownership of your wellbeing and healing - you’ve got this!

Hey, I can totally relate to what you’re going through. Dealing with PTSD from parents is incredibly tough, and it’s something that’s hard to shake off. It’s great that you’ve been reflecting on your experiences and trying to understand the root of your feelings. Forgiveness is such a big part of the healing process, and it’s not about excusing what happened, but rather freeing yourself from the weight of the past. And improving communication skills with your parents is a huge step too - it’s all about finding that balance and expressing yourself in a healthy way. It’s good to hear that you’re looking forward to creating meaningful connections and taking ownership of your own wellbeing. Keep pushing forward, it sounds like you’re on the right track!

Hey, I hear you. Dealing with PTSD from your parents is no easy feat, and it takes a lot of strength to even begin to come to terms with it. It’s great to hear that you’ve been able to reflect on your experiences and understand why you feel the way you do today. Forgiveness is such a powerful tool in healing, and I totally get what you mean about it not excusing what happened, but rather letting go and accepting that things can’t change now. And learning to communicate with them in a healthy way is a huge step towards healing. It’s not easy, but it’s definitely worth it. Understanding the past is tough, but it’s so important for creating a better path forward. Keep taking ownership of your own wellbeing and healing process – you’ve got this!

Hey, thanks for sharing your experience. It sounds like you’ve really been through a lot, and I admire your strength in coming to understand and accept what you went through. Dealing with PTSD from parents is a tough thing, and it takes a lot of courage to work through those emotions. It’s awesome that you’ve found forgiveness as a way to let go of some of the pain, and working on communication skills is so important too. You’re really making progress and it’s great to hear that you’re focused on creating a new path forward. Keep up the amazing work, and remember that healing is a process that takes time. You’re not alone in this journey and there are people who care and understand. Sending you positive vibes and support!

Hey, I totally get where you’re coming from. Dealing with PTSD from your parents can be really tough, especially when it’s something that happened when you were a kid and had no control over. It takes a lot of strength to reflect on those experiences and work through those deep emotional scars. I think it’s great that you’re focusing on forgiveness and learning to communicate better with your parents. It’s not easy, but it’s a big step towards healing and finding peace. Understanding your past and using it to move forward in a positive way is incredibly powerful. Hang in there, you’re doing awesome!

Hey, I can totally relate to what you’re going through. Dealing with PTSD from parents is so tough, especially when it’s something that happened when we were just kids and had no control over. It’s amazing that you’ve been reflecting on your experiences and working towards understanding why you feel the way you do today. Forgiveness is such a powerful tool in healing, and it’s great to hear that you’re working on letting go and accepting that things can’t change now. Developing better communication skills with your parents is huge too, it takes a lot of strength and patience. Understanding the past is a big step towards creating a new, meaningful path forward. I’m here for you if you ever need someone to talk to.

Hey there, I’m really sorry to hear that you’ve been dealing with PTSD from your parents for so long. It sounds like you’ve been through a lot, but I’m glad to hear that you’re taking the time to reflect on your experiences and understand why you feel the way you do. It takes a lot of strength to do that, and it’s really impressive that you’re working on moving beyond those feelings of powerlessness. I completely agree that forgiveness is important in the healing process, and it’s great that you’re focusing on developing better communication skills with your parents. It’s definitely not easy, but it’s so important for growth and peace of mind. It’s also really inspiring to hear that you’re using your understanding of the past to start on a new path forward in life. Keep up the amazing work, and know that you’re not alone on this journey.