Dealing with ptsd from my parents: my story

I’ve been dealing with PTSD from my parents for many years and it has been an incredibly difficult journey. I have spent a lot of time reflecting on my experiences which has helped me understand why I feel the way I do today.

The biggest challenge when dealing with PTSD from my parents is that it is something I had no control over as a child. When you experience trauma at a young age, it can leave deep emotional scars. It’s taken me so much strength to accept this reality and learn to move beyond these feelings of powerlessness.

I think one of the most important things in coming to terms with my parents and how they impacted my life is forgiveness. This doesn’t necessarily mean that I am excusing what happened, but rather that I am letting go and accepting that things cannot change now.

Dealing with PTSD from my parents has also made me develop better communication skills towards them. This involves learning to express myself in such a way that both sides are respected, and any issues are dealt with in an effective way. It’s not always easy but it does provide an opportunity for growth as well as peace of mind.

Looking back on the past might be hard, but understanding it helps me start off on a new path forward in life - one where I’m able to create meaningful connections and take ownership of mine own wellbeing and healing process.