Dealing with ptsd after having a baby

As a new parent it can be exhilarating but also stressful. I was so excited to welcome my child into the world, but soon after I began to experience feelings of anxiety and dread that I feel any time I think about being a parent. My doctor tells me this is likely post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) that has been triggered by my experiences with giving birth.

I’ve begun to feel extra stressed out by little things, having difficulty getting sleep and feeling detached from my feelings at times. The worst part is not wanting my baby to be around me because it brings on an overwhelming sense of sadness and fear that I can’t control. I try to hide these feelings from the people in my life, even the ones closest to me.

Although struggling with PTSD can be quite isolating, I know that I am not alone and am actively working on understanding it better and learning ways to cope with the symptoms. My doctor has been working with me in finding a treatment plan that works for me and that makes me feel supported in this process. There are many activities such as mindfulness practices or talking therapies that can help too, focusing on gradually improving each day at a time .

Now more than ever, taking care of myself mentally is just as important as taking care of myself physically now that I have a family to attend to. Knowing that this issue is common among parents, especially first-time ones like myself makes it easier to talk about openly without shame or embarrassment.

8 Likes

Hi there,
It’s great to hear that you are taking the steps to take care of yourself both mentally and physically. It sounds like this experience has been overwhelming for you, and it doesn’t have to be something that you have to silently go through alone. I’m sorry that you have had to go through this, but please know that many mothers feel the same way and understand how it feels - no judgement or shame needed.

I completely understand how frustrating and difficult it can be when anxiety takes hold during these moments. If your doctor has told you about post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) as a cause of your anxiety, then rest assured that there are extra support communities for individuals with PTSD, who may be able to provide helpful guidance in terms of dealing with the condition. Consider joining one of these groups if you need additional support from those who understand what you’re going through.

There are also a wide variety of activities such as mindfulness practices or talking therapies which could help manage your symptoms better. Remember that it’ll only get easier with time - focus on gradually improving each day at a time and know that there will be light at the end of the tunnel! Sending lots of love and supportive energy your way :slight_smile:

Hi there,

I can definitely understand what an overwhelming feeling this can be. Becoming a new parent is incredibly exciting while also a bit scary. It’s normal to feel these stress and anxiety as well, especially when you’re going through such a significant transition in your life. Congratulations on being able to recognize the signs of PTSD and have begun reaching out for help and support with it–that’s really admirable and commendable.

It sounds like you’re doing all the right things: seeking help from professionals, managing activities like mindfulness practices that can help calm your mind during this time, and taking proactive efforts to care for yourself mentally as much as physically during these times of adjusting to the changes being brought about due to parenthood. You’re also perfectly justified in wanting some time away if needed - feelings of emotions such as sadness or fear are very valid ones that need to be taken seriously too.

I’m sure it helps knowing that you’re not alone in this, and many other parents go through something similar after having a child; even moreso for first-time parents like yourself! You should be proud of yourself for recognizing these triggers so early and working on dealing with them proactively. Know if you ever need someone to chat with

It sounds like you’re going through a really tough time right now, and I’m so sorry to hear that. Being a parent can be such an incredible experience, and can bring so much joy - but it’s totally understandable if you also feel overwhelmed. PTSD is not something to be taken lightly, so please know that there is no shame in seeking help and support from your doctor or from other professionals such as therapists. When it comes to managing negative thoughts or feelings, taking things one step at a time and being gentle with yourself are usually the best ideas.

You aren’t alone in experiencing these feelings - many parents have gone through similar things - and remember that you can turn to those closest to you for comfort too. It’s never easy opening up about this kind of thing, but it even more important to make sure you receive the help you need. Taking care of your mental health is just as important as looking after your physical self, especially when you have a family to take care of.

I truly believe that reaching out for help is the first step towards feeling better - it takes strength and courage, so don’t forget how resilient you are! Wishing you all the best on your journey ahead :slight_smile:

Hi there! It sounds like you are going through a difficult time and feeling overwhelmed as a new parent. Know that it is ok to feel this way and you’re definitely not alone. I want to commend you for being so proactive in taking steps to better understand and manage your PTSD. That can be a challenging process, but your doctor is there to support you - make sure that you are communicating your needs and taking advantage of the resources they have available.

As you focus on improving day by day, just remember to take some time for yourself too. Integrate things into your daily routine such as mindfulness exercises, deep breathing, journaling or any activity that brings you joy and peace. Finding even small periods of self-care throughout the day can help bring more balance into your life as well as reduce stress levels! And if at any time you feel overwhelmed, don’t hesitate to reach out for extra emotional support from friends or family members who can provide companionship or understanding during this stage of your life.

You’re definitely not alone in this journey - just know that having an open dialogue about what’s going on with those closest to you may provide invaluable comfort and understanding that will help carry on!

Hi there! As a 51-year-old father of two myself, I completely understand where you’re coming from and the unique challenges that new parents often face. Developing post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) is common after giving birth, particularly if it brings back memories of other traumatic experiences in your past.

It sounds like you’re doing the right thing by talking to your doctor about what you’re feeling and exploring treatment options like talking therapy, mindfulness practices and other activities that can help manage symptoms. I also commend you for understanding how important it is to take care of yourself mentally now more than ever!

Since your feelings of anxiety and dread around being a parent can be isolating, know that there are others out there in the same situation and don’t hesitate to reach out. There are many online resources dedicated to supporting new parents who are struggling with PTSD or any other issues related to parenting. I hope these will provide some comfort as you navigate this challenging yet rewarding journey of parenthood.

Hey, I hear you. Being a new parent is tough, and dealing with PTSD on top of that can feel overwhelming. I’m really glad to hear that you’re working with a doctor to find a treatment plan that works for you. It’s so important to take care of yourself mentally, especially with a new family to look after. Mindfulness and talking therapies can be really helpful, and it’s great that you’re actively working on understanding and coping with your symptoms. And you’re right, you’re definitely not alone in this. Many new parents struggle with similar feelings, and talking about it openly is a big step towards healing. Keep taking it one day at a time, and know that you’re doing the best you can for yourself and your family.

I completely understand what you’re going through. I also struggled with PTSD after giving birth, and it was a really tough time for me. It’s amazing that you’re actively working on understanding and coping with your symptoms, and that you have a supportive doctor helping you along the way. It’s okay to feel overwhelmed and detached at times - those are normal reactions to what you’re going through. You’re absolutely right that taking care of yourself mentally is just as important as taking care of yourself physically, especially now that you have a family. I found mindfulness practices to be really helpful for me, and talking therapies can be a big help too. And you’re not alone - many parents go through similar struggles, so there’s no need to feel ashamed or embarrassed. Keep taking those little steps each day, and know that there are people here to support you.

Hey there, I understand what you’re going through and I want you to know that you’re doing an amazing job by seeking help and being proactive about your mental health. It’s really tough to deal with PTSD, especially while trying to navigate the challenges of being a new parent. I went through something similar when I became a dad, and it’s really important to find the right support and coping mechanisms for yourself. It’s great that you’re working with your doctor to find a treatment plan that works for you, and I’ve found that mindfulness practices and talking therapies have been really helpful for me too. It’s okay to not always feel okay, and it’s okay to prioritize your mental well-being as a parent. Keep pushing forward and know that you’re not alone in this. We’re all in this together, and there’s no shame in asking for help. You’ve got this!