Dealing with post traumatic stress

As someone who has gone through a traumatic experience, I know how difficult it can be to move forward with life. While I am by no means an expert in dealing with post traumatic stress, I have found that having an open mind and being proactive can make a huge difference.

In my experience, one of the most important things I did to help ease my post traumatic stress was to talk to others about it – whether it was family members, close friends or even counselors. Having an understanding supportive person who just listens is incredibly helpful. Not only does it give you something off your chest but you get valuable feedback from someone who cares.

It is also helpful to practice relaxation techniques like yoga and meditation. Taking time out each day for yourself can help lower stresses and help process the emotions around the trauma. It may take some trial and error before finding something that works specifically for you; the key is to keep trying in order to find ways of coping with these negative feelings.

Finally, it’s good to be kind to yourself and remember that progress doesn’t happen overnight. Even if at times it feels like nothing is working there will come a moment where everything changes for the better and these dark moments become less frequent as healing begins.