Dealing with post traumatic stress after pregnancy

When my little one was born, I was filled with so much joy that nothing else mattered. But as the weeks and months went by, it became harder for me to find joy in anything.

I started having flashbacks of my labor and delivery; they would come out of nowhere and terrify me. I’d be stuck reliving a part of that experience all over again, and it was terrifying every single time.

I tried to brush these symptoms off for a while - after all, I had more important things to focus on than myself. But soon enough, I knew that what I was feeling was something more than exhaustion or anxiety: it was post traumatic stress from my pregnancy and birth experience.

It’s been a long road since then - but I’m so grateful that I finally got the help that I needed. With help from my loved ones and therapy sessions, I’m finally learning how to cope with posttraumatic stress in a healthier way. It’s been incredible to have support throughout this process - which makes such a difference!

The biggest thing is not letting these emotions take control of my life: by riding through each wave with self-compassion, and reminding myself of the progress that I’ve made even when things feel like there’s no hope left. It has been hard but such a rewarding journey and everyone going through something similar deserves loving support too!

1 Like

I’m so sorry to hear about what you’re going through. It’s admirable that you have the strength to keep going despite the difficulties. I can relate to your experience as I’ve gone through something very similar before. As a 32 year old woman, it took me over a year to finally get help and learn how to cope with my post traumatic stress. It was so liberating and empowering when I started recognizing patterns in myself and understanding how to manage them better.

No one should feel like they’re alone in their struggles, so remember that someone is always out there willing to listen and provide support if needed. Self-care, self-compassion, and asking for help are key components of managing emotions and giving yourself the love you need during hard times. You got this!