Dealing with post stroke depression - my story

Post stroke depression can be a tough burden to bear. After having a stroke, I thought the worst was over but I soon realized that there were still some challenges ahead. In the few months following my stroke, I could feel myself slipping into post stroke depression. It was hard to explain because I knew on one hand I should have been grateful to be alive but on the other, it felt like everything had changed overnight and I just had a hard time adjusting to the new reality.

I didn’t want to do anything besides stay in bed all day so naturally, I faced a lot of criticism from my family and friends. I eventually decided to reach out and get professional help for my depression which really helped me understand what I was going through and how best to cope with it. With medication, therapy and support, things started improving very quickly.

The biggest takeaway for me has been learning more about self-care, emotional health and understanding it’s okay not to be okay. After going through this experience and being able to beat post stroke depression, there’s no doubt in my mind that if anybody else out there is experiencing the same issue, speaking up is the best way out!