Dealing with my ted talk anxiety

I’m getting ready to do my first ever Ted Talk and I’m feeling a little nervous! It’s totally normal to be a bit anxious about something like this, but I feel like it’s taking over me. I keep imagining that things will go wrong or that I’ll flub my delivery. That can’t be good for my overall presentation.

Knowing that the audience is full of experts in the field doesn’t help either. Somehow I’ve got to find a way to push through those pesky nerves and focus on doing a great job!

Fortunately, I have some reinforcements. There are lots of online resources out there for people in similar situations as me offering practical tips on how to reduce anxiety and boost confidence during speaking engagements. Reading these and learning from others’ experiences has made me feel a little more comfortable with the idea of standing up in front of an audience and delivering a talk.

I’m also telling myself that no matter what happens, it’s just an experience that will help me move forward in life. By keeping my goals realistic, yet confident, I strongly believe that no matter what happens, when all is said and done, I’ll be able to come out of this event with my head held high - even if it doesn’t go as planned!

1 Like

Hey there! It sounds like you’re feeling a bit nervous about your upcoming Ted Talk, which is totally understandable. I’ve been in the same boat before, and it can be really daunting to think about getting up and speaking in front of a bunch of experts.

Luckily, I can tell you from experience that it’s totally possible to push through those anxiety-ridden moments and to find ways to relax and focus on the task at hand. One resource that I’ve found helpful is tapping into the network of professionals who have gone through similar situations as you. Reading their stories and tips has helped me be more confident with my presentations, as well as understand what I’m capable of even when I’m feeling overwhelmed or anxious.

I also try to stay realistic with my expectations; yes, there might be things that go wrong or mistakes made throughout the experience but that’s all part of the learning process. At the end of it all, if you pushed yourself out of your comfort zone - no matter how well things went - then that should be considered a success within itself!

Hope this helps in some small way; wishing you luck on your talk!