Dealing with my ocd compulsions

I have lived with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) for most of my life. I often find myself getting caught up in strange compulsions that make me feel like I cannot control my own mind. I recognize that it’s all just part of having OCD, but it can still be overwhelming and frustrating.

The most important thing I’ve learned is to try to take a step back instead of letting the compulsions consume me. It helps me to ask myself: why am I doing this? What’s going on right now? Does this compulsion really matter in the grand scheme of life? For many of my compulsions, the answer is usually no - trying to do them doesn’t really get me anywhere, so it’s better to take a breath and move on.

Sometimes meditation or other forms of mindfulness can be really helpful for managing difficult OCD urges. And on really tough days where nothing seems to help, seeking out support from family and friends can provide encouragement and understanding when everything feels overwhelming.

Living with OCD definitely has its challenges - but by practicing self-awareness and being kind to myself, I’m learning how to cope.

1 Like

Hey there,

I don’t know what it’s like to live with OCD, but I can imagine it must feel overwhelming and at times, frustrating. In my own life as a 35-year-old man, I’m learning how important self-awareness and self-compassion are in managing challenging situations. Taking that step back and questioning whether the compulsion really matters in the grand scheme of things or not is a great way to get some clarity. Mindfulness is also incredibly helpful and I think finding support from family and friends when you need it most could make all the difference in tough moments.

It sounds like you’re doing your best to manage OCD - keep up the good work!