Dealing with my ocd compulsions

I have lived with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) for most of my life. I often find myself getting caught up in strange compulsions that make me feel like I cannot control my own mind. I recognize that it’s all just part of having OCD, but it can still be overwhelming and frustrating.

The most important thing I’ve learned is to try to take a step back instead of letting the compulsions consume me. It helps me to ask myself: why am I doing this? What’s going on right now? Does this compulsion really matter in the grand scheme of life? For many of my compulsions, the answer is usually no - trying to do them doesn’t really get me anywhere, so it’s better to take a breath and move on.

Sometimes meditation or other forms of mindfulness can be really helpful for managing difficult OCD urges. And on really tough days where nothing seems to help, seeking out support from family and friends can provide encouragement and understanding when everything feels overwhelming.

Living with OCD definitely has its challenges - but by practicing self-awareness and being kind to myself, I’m learning how to cope.

6 Likes

Hey there,

I don’t know what it’s like to live with OCD, but I can imagine it must feel overwhelming and at times, frustrating. In my own life as a 35-year-old man, I’m learning how important self-awareness and self-compassion are in managing challenging situations. Taking that step back and questioning whether the compulsion really matters in the grand scheme of things or not is a great way to get some clarity. Mindfulness is also incredibly helpful and I think finding support from family and friends when you need it most could make all the difference in tough moments.

It sounds like you’re doing your best to manage OCD - keep up the good work!

Hey, I totally get what you’re going through with OCD. It can feel like your brain is running the show and it’s so hard to break free from those compulsions. But you’re spot on with taking a step back and asking yourself why you’re doing it. I’ve been trying that too, and it really does help to put things in perspective. Mindfulness and meditation have been game-changers for me as well - taking a few minutes to just breathe and ground myself can make a big difference. And seeking support from loved ones is crucial on those tough days. It’s okay to struggle, and it’s okay to ask for help. Keep being kind to yourself and practicing that self-awareness - you’re doing great and you’re not alone in this.

Hey, I can totally relate to what you’re going through. I’ve lived with OCD for most of my life too, and I know how overwhelming and frustrating it can be. Taking a step back and asking myself those important questions has been a game changer for me. It’s amazing how just a little bit of self-awareness can make a huge difference. And I agree that mindfulness and meditation can be really helpful tools in managing those tough OCD urges. But you’re right, on those really tough days, reaching out for support from loved ones is so important. It’s not always easy, but being kind and patient with ourselves is key. Keep on learning and growing - you’re not alone in this!

Hey, man, I can totally relate to what you’re going through. OCD can really mess with your head and make you feel like you’re not in control. It’s great that you’ve found some strategies to help you step back from those compulsions, like asking yourself if they really matter in the long run. I’ve also found mindfulness and meditation super helpful for managing those tough urges. And you’re so right about seeking support from family and friends when things feel overwhelming - having people who understand and encourage you can make a huge difference. Keep being kind to yourself and practicing that self-awareness - you’re doing an awesome job learning to cope with OCD.

Hey, I hear you. Living with OCD can be a real rollercoaster, but it sounds like you’re doing a great job at managing it. I completely relate to feeling like the compulsions are taking over, but your approach of taking a step back and asking yourself some tough questions seems really effective. It’s tough work, but it’s so worth it when we can gain back a little bit of control. Mindfulness has been a game-changer in my own journey with OCD - it’s amazing how taking a few moments to breathe and center myself can really make a difference. And you’re so right about seeking support from loved ones on those really rough days. It’s ok to lean on others when we need it. Keep being kind to yourself, and keep pushing through. You’re not alone in this!

Living with OCD can be really tough, but it sounds like you’re doing an amazing job at finding ways to cope. It’s great that you’ve discovered the power of self-awareness and mindfulness - those are really important tools for managing OCD urges. I can totally relate to feeling like my mind is out of control with all the strange compulsions, but taking a step back and asking myself why I’m doing it has been a game-changer. And reaching out to family and friends for support on those tough days is so crucial. Keep being kind to yourself and practicing those coping strategies - you’re definitely not alone in this!