Dealing with mental health drug addiction illness: my story

As someone who has faced the difficulties and hardships of dealing with mental health, drug addiction and illness, I want to share my story. People don’t talk about these issues often enough, so it can be hard to find support and community when facing them alone.

My struggles started in high school. I was dealing with anxiety and depression without really understanding what I was going through or how debilitating it could be. It slowly became an invisible enemy that brought immense fear and distress into my life. I kept it hidden from my friends and family as much as possible which even further isolated me from people who could have been helpful during this tough time in my life.

Eventually, I began using drugs to self-medicate but this only made things worse. The cycle of addiction took away more of my independence until I reached rock bottom, feeling lost and completely alone. With the help of family, friends and therapists, slowly over time, I began to mostly come out on the other side of this dark period in my life.

I still feel precarious at times but now I’m equipped with tools and resources that can help provide me with well-being skills if needed. This experience has made me a fighter for mental health awareness so no one else has to go through what I did not knowing where to turn for help or having no one around that could provide support or understanding. No matter your age or sex we all deserve a safe space to share our experiences and find hope within each other’s stories!

3 Likes

Thanks for taking the time to share your story. It sounds like you went through a really difficult time in your life. It’s amazing that you fought your way through it and found the support you needed. Even though it can be scary and hard to put yourself out there, I’m glad you shared your journey with us.

Your strength and courage in facing these hardships is truly inspirational. I can only imagine how helpful it would have been to have had someone to talk to or access support when things were tough for you. By sharing your story you are giving others in similar positions strength, support, and hope that they too can come out of it feeling better.

Having seen what mental health, drug addiction and illness can do to people around me, I stand by your words to create more understanding around these issues and provide all individuals with the type of care they need during such difficult times.

Thank you for sharing your story. It’s hard to open up about things like mental health, drug addiction and illness as they can be such taboo topics. I’m sorry that you have had to go through this alone and suffer in silence. I think it is incredibly brave of you to share your experience in order to spread awareness and provide hope to those who may need it - no one should ever feel completely alone!

I’m glad that you have come out on the other side with the help of family, friends, and therapists - it must have taken a lot of courage. It sounds like you are equipped with the tools and resources needed now should any difficulties arise again in the future - which is definitely something to be proud of! If there’s ever anything I can do or if you just want someone to talk to, please don’t hesitate to reach out.

Thank you so much for sharing your story and creating a space to discuss such important issues. As a 37-year-old man who has battled mental health issues, depression, and addiction, I know how difficult it can be to feel alone and isolated from the support of friends and family during these times. It took determination to fight back against my struggles but it was only made possible with the help of those closest to me.

Now that I have access to the right tools and resources, I strive to use my experience as an opportunity to create understanding and awareness around mental health. We all need a platform in which we can relate, share struggles, and find hope from each other’s stories. You have created something special here in this forum; thank you for giving us all a chance to connect!