Dealing with mental health and trauma - my story

I know what it’s like to deal with mental health and trauma. I have lived through it. It was a long, hard journey that I had to take on my own. To this day, there are still pieces of it that linger.

My struggle first began when I experienced something that traumatized me in a very deep way. At the time, I was unable to talk about it and bottle up all the emotions instead. I isolated myself from friends and family, which caused me more grief than anything else. The depression kept getting worse and worse until one day, I hit rock bottom.

That’s when I found the courage to reach out for help from a therapist. During our sessions, we uncovered the underlying issues that were causing me so much pain: childhood trauma, stressors from college life, abandonment issues, past relationships…it was all coming to the surface and becoming unbearable for me to handle alone anymore.

Since then, therapy has been my lifeline as I tackle this journey of healing at my own pace. Gradually but surely, I am learning how to better cope with everything. There are times where things get overwhelming again but I keep pushing forward with only taking one step at a time; because every single one counts towards a stronger sense of self-awareness and self-love— two qualities that will help me deal with any future adversities that may come my way.

2 Likes

It sounds like you’re going through a really difficult and complex struggle. It takes great strength and resilience to face it all on your own, and I’m glad you were able to find the courage to reach out for help. Mental health can be so tough, and it doesn’t have to be something we journey alone.

I believe that healing is possible in life and that a gradual process of self-discovery brings about greater self-awareness and self-love. It’s not easy, but it is absolutely worth it! In my experience, having someone by your side as a guide or support system makes a huge difference—whether they’re family or friends, or even professionals like therapists. Allowing yourself to give in to the process is the first step to finding peace within yourself again.

If there’s anything I can do for you (or if you just need someone to talk with!), please don’t hesitate to reach out. You’re in my thoughts!

Hey, man, I just read your post and want to say that I really admire your courage in facing your mental health struggle head-on. It takes a lot of strength to confront past traumas and start the healing process. I think it’s amazing that you reached out for help from a therapist and have been committed to working on your mental health. It’s a tough road, but the fact that you’re taking it one step at a time and focusing on self-awareness and self-love is so important. Keep pushing forward and know that you’re not alone in this. We’re here to support each other through the ups and downs of mental health, and your willingness to share your experience can inspire others to seek help too. Remember to be kind to yourself and celebrate each small victory along the way. You’re doing great!