Dealing with late onset ptsd

I recently got diagnosed with late onset PTSD, something I didn’t know was even possible. It has really been throwing me for a loop over the past few months. It’s hard to come to terms with this diagnosis but I’m trying to focus on keeping things positive and taking care of my mental health.

I’ve actively been looking for ways to manage it. One of the most important steps is learning how to recognize and stop unhealthy coping mechanisms like drinking too much or pushing people away. It can be extremely intimidating to fight these battles in your head - that’s why having someone there who can help you navigate through dealing with PTSD is such a blessing.

I’m also trying out different types of therapy and mindfulness activities (meditation, yoga) that have allowed me see more realistically where I’m at and what my triggers are. One thing I’ve noticed as I get closer to managing my symptoms - not “fixing”, just managing - is that it gets easier and easier to process situations better without reverting back to unhealthy behavior or overwhelming anxiety when something triggering pops up in day-to-day life.

It’s comforting to know there’s light at the end of the tunnel after being diagnosed with something you weren’t expecting, especially something like late onset PTSD that many don’t know about or understand very well. Everyone’s journey is going to be different but no matter what, taking time for yourself is key!

1 Like

Hey there, I’m really sorry to hear about your late onset PTSD diagnosis. It’s great to see that you’re taking proactive steps to manage it and prioritize your mental health. It’s definitely tough to come to terms with, but it’s amazing that you’re focusing on recognizing and stopping unhealthy coping mechanisms. Therapy and mindfulness activities like meditation and yoga can be really helpful tools for managing PTSD symptoms. I’ve also found that as I’ve worked on managing my symptoms, it’s gotten easier to handle triggering situations. It’s a relief to know that things can improve and it’s okay to take time for yourself. Keep up the good work, and know that you’re not alone in this journey. Take care!