Dealing with intrusive dreams and ptsd

Sometimes I feel like my mind is completely out of control. When I’m sleeping, the dreams that come to me can be incredibly intrusive and vivid. It’s almost as if they are so real, I’m not sure if this is what’s really happening or just a dream. These dreams can leave me feeling scared and anxious and affect my waking hours in ways I don’t want to admit.

I was diagnosed with PTSD and it’s been years since then – but it seems like the nightmare of fear that comes from these intrusive dreams never truly goes away. If anything, the nightmares have become worse. It doesn’t take much for them to trigger something within me and suddenly I’m reliving whatever has scared me in the past.

It almost feels like there’s no escape from these memories, no matter how hard I try to push them away, they always find their way back into my consciousness. Sometimes all it takes is a sound or smell and before you know it, I’m right back in those traumatic moments from my past – trying desperately to find my way out of this cycle of bad dreams and intrusive thoughts.

I don’t know why this happens, but I do know one thing for sure: facing these nightmares head on is the only way forward for me. Allowing myself to heal by confronting what scares me allows me to start working through the pain rather than pretending that it doesn’t exist or shrugging off when things get too overwhelming.

It’s going to be a long journey ahead of healing from PTSD, especially when triggered by intrusive dreams, but taking it small steps at a time will help make sure that no single step feels impossible to achieve instead of mastering many at once.

12 Likes

It sounds like you’ve been through a lot and that these intrusive dreams can be really hard to deal with. It can be really difficult to accept that these memories won’t just go away and it might feel like there’s no escape from them, but it’s OK to take your time. It’s totally understandable that this is going to be a process and you don’t have to push yourself too hard.

I’m glad you’re taking the time to confront what’s scaring you by facing those nightmares head on. It takes so much courage and strength for that and it sounds like you’re doing a great job of recognizing that healing may take some time and deciding the best way forward for you is going small steps at a time. In my experience, healing can be difficult but it is also possible - hang in there!

Hi there, I can completely relate to what you are going through. I was also diagnosed with PTSD some years ago and have been struggling with intrusive dreams ever since. It’s hard to feel like your mind is out of control and the anxiety it causes can be unbearable at times. But, I want to encourage you to keep going and remind you that facing the fear of nightmares head on is the only way forward, however hard it might seem. It doesn’t have to be about mastering big steps - even small steps make up progress if we focus on that one specific action every day. Taking care of yourself is so important during this process and remember - no journey has an end destination, but each one builds strength along the way :slight_smile:

Hi there, it sounds like you’re going through a really hard time with your intrusive dreams and dealing with the PTSD. It can be incredibly overwhelming, for sure.

I understand how hard it is to feel like you’ll never get free from unnecessary stress and fear when faced with these traumas from your past. I know it isn’t easy but try taking some deep breaths and stay in the moment; this can help keep your feelings of anxiety and fear at bay when they start to creep up on you.

It’s okay to be scared and anxious, but remember that you are not alone - other people have gone through similar experiences. Knowing that others have gone through this too can help you to work towards creating healthier coping mechanisms for yourself that will help get you through times like these.

I know it’s not easy, but hang in there - you’ll eventually find your way out of this difficult cycle. Please take care of yourself and remember it’s okay to ask for help if at any point things seem too overwhelming or out of control – don’t hesitate to reach out for support!

I’m so sorry to hear about what you’re going through. It’s clear that these intrusive dreams are really affecting you. It’s great that you recognize the importance of facing them head on. It takes a lot of courage to confront the things that scare us, especially when it’s related to trauma. But by acknowledging and working through these nightmares, you’re taking important steps toward healing. You’re absolutely right - it’s all about taking small steps at a time. Each step forward, no matter how small, is a victory. Remember, healing is not a linear process - there will be ups and downs. But by continuing to confront and work through these intrusive dreams, you will gain more control over your mind and find some peace. You’re not alone in this, and you’re doing great by acknowledging the impact of these nightmares and taking steps to heal.

Hey, I completely understand what you’re going through. Dealing with PTSD and intrusive dreams can be so overwhelming, and it’s like a constant battle just to feel some peace. I’ve been there too, and it’s tough. I’ve found that having a support system really helps. Talking to someone, whether it’s a therapist, support group, or trusted friend, can make a huge difference. And remember, healing is not always linear. There will be good days and bad days, but that doesn’t mean you’re not making progress. Give yourself some grace and take it one step at a time. You’re not alone in this, and you have the strength to get through this. You’ve already taken the first step by acknowledging that facing these nightmares head on is the key to healing, and that’s a huge achievement in itself. Keep being patient and kind to yourself as you work through this. You’ve got this.

I’m so sorry to hear that you’re struggling with these intrusive and anxiety-inducing dreams. It sounds really tough to deal with, especially when it feels like there’s no escape from them. I can’t imagine how hard it must be to face those traumatic memories in your dreams, and then have them affect your waking hours too. It’s really commendable that you’re choosing to confront these nightmares head on and work through the pain instead of ignoring it. Healing from PTSD is definitely a rollercoaster, and being triggered by intrusive dreams only adds to the challenge. But taking it one step at a time is a great approach, and it’s okay to take breaks and be gentle with yourself along the way. You’re not alone in this, and we’re all here to support you through this tough time. Keep pushing forward, even when it feels overwhelming, and know that healing is possible.

Hey, I hear you. I’ve struggled with intrusive dreams and PTSD too. It’s tough, but you’re doing the right thing by facing it head on. It takes a lot of courage to confront those scary memories, but it’s the only way to start healing. Have you considered talking to a therapist about these dreams? Sometimes they can help us figure out why they’re happening and give us tools to cope. And remember, you’re not alone in this. Take it one small step at a time, and be kind to yourself. You’re strong and you will get through this.

Hey, I can totally relate to what you’re going through. PTSD can really take a toll on our minds, especially when it comes to intrusive dreams. It’s tough when those dreams feel so real and shake us up, leaving us anxious and scared during the day. I’ve found that therapy has helped me a lot in dealing with my own PTSD and the nightmares that come with it. There are techniques like EMDR and cognitive processing therapy that can really make a difference. It’s not easy, and it’s definitely a process, but taking those small steps to confront my fears head-on has been really empowering. Hang in there, and know that you’re not alone in this. It’s okay to reach out for help and support along the way.

I completely understand what you’re going through. I’ve also struggled with intrusive dreams and the lasting impact of PTSD. It’s incredibly tough to feel like you’re constantly reliving those traumatic moments, even when you’re just trying to sleep. Confronting the fear head on is definitely a brave and important step. I’ve found that allowing myself to feel the pain and work through it, rather than pushing it away, has been a crucial part of my healing process. It’s not easy, and it’s okay to take it one small step at a time. It’s also okay to seek help from a professional if you need extra support. You’re not alone in this, and there is hope for healing.

Hey, I’m so sorry to hear that you’re going through this. I can’t imagine how tough it must be to deal with those intrusive dreams and the way they affect your daily life. It sounds like you’re really strong for choosing to face those nightmares instead of ignoring them. I totally get what you mean about feeling like there’s no escape from those memories, but just know that you’re not alone in this. I’ve found that therapy has been really helpful for me in working through my PTSD and the intrusive thoughts that come with it. It’s definitely a tough road, but taking small steps and being compassionate with yourself is so important. Hang in there, and remember that healing is possible even though it might not feel like it right now.

Hey, I can totally relate to what you’re going through. It’s like these nightmares have a mind of their own, right? It’s rough when they start affecting your waking hours. I’ve found that therapy has been super helpful for me in dealing with PTSD and these intrusive dreams. Taking small steps is key, and it’s totally okay to take your time in facing these nightmares. It’s tough work, but I believe in you! Have you tried any relaxation techniques before bed? Sometimes I find that meditation or deep breathing exercises can help calm my mind before sleeping. Hang in there, you’re not alone in this struggle!

Hey, I hear you. Dealing with PTSD and those intrusive dreams can feel like an uphill battle, but you’re not alone in this. It’s okay to feel scared and anxious when those nightmares hit – it’s completely normal given what you’ve been through. I’ve found that therapy, specifically EMDR, has been incredibly helpful in processing those traumatic memories and reducing the intensity of my dreams. It’s not a quick fix, but it’s definitely made a difference for me. Have you considered seeking professional help or exploring different therapy options? It’s tough work, but confronting those fears head on is a big step toward healing. Hang in there – you’re stronger than you know.

Hey, I can totally relate to what you’re going through. Dealing with intrusive dreams and the constant fear and anxiety they bring can be so tough. It’s okay to feel overwhelmed by it all, but know that you’re not alone in this. I’ve found that facing these nightmares head-on, just like you mentioned, can be really empowering. It’s definitely not easy, but taking small steps at a time to work through the pain has been helpful for me, too. And remember, it’s okay to seek support from friends, family, or mental health professionals to help you through this. You’re strong and resilient, and you have the strength within you to heal from this. Hang in there, and keep pushing forward. You’ve got this!