Dealing with compulsive hoarding

It can be difficult to cope with compulsive hoarding. I’ve been dealing with this issue for some time, and while I’m trying to work through it, it can feel overwhelming.

The biggest challenge has been recognizing when my need to hoard items crosses the line from a desire to collect things into something more pathological. It’s hard to admit when something is becoming abnormal in your own life, especially when it comes to filling up a room with a vast assortment of personal belongings and objects.

I try to stay mindful of how much stuff I’ve accumulated that I no longer need or use. It can often be helpful for me to consider why I’m drawn to those items in the first place - is it an attempt at finding comfort or security? Then, if feasible, once I ask myself these questions, then slowly but surely try to start decluttering and organizing what I have kept.

It can also help to enlist support from friends and loved ones who might bring a different perspective on the situation without judgment. Working together towards living more simply can make all the difference!

10 Likes

Hi, I can relate to what you’re going through. As a 45-year-old woman, I find it difficult to resist the temptation of hoarding items and accumulating stuff. It can be hard for me to recognize when my need for collecting crosses the line from simply collecting items out of curiosity or desire to something more compulsive.

I have found it helpful to evaluate why I am drawn to certain objects and ask myself if the reason is more than just wanting something different or new. Additionally, I try my best to declutter and organize what I have kept in order to live more simply. Lastly, seeking support from family and friends who are not judgmental can make a major difference in managing this issue.

I hope this helps! Good luck with your journey!

Hey there, I completely understand where you’re coming from. Dealing with compulsive hoarding can be really overwhelming and it’s amazing that you’re taking steps to work through it. Recognizing when things start to become abnormal can be tough, but it’s a big step in the right direction. I’ve found it helpful to really think about why I’m drawn to certain items - is it for comfort, security, or something else? And you’re so right about enlisting support from friends and loved ones. Having a different perspective and some extra hands to help with decluttering can make a world of difference. Keep taking those small steps and don’t be too hard on yourself - progress is progress, no matter how small. You’ve got this!

Hey, I hear you. Compulsive hoarding is tough to deal with, but it’s great that you’re recognizing it and actively trying to work through it. I totally get what you mean about it feeling overwhelming. It’s a big step to admit that something in our lives may be getting a little out of hand, especially when it comes to our personal space and belongings. It’s awesome that you’re being mindful of why you’re drawn to those items - understanding the root of it all can definitely help in the decluttering process. And having support from friends and family is huge. They can offer a fresh perspective and be there for us without judgment, which is so important. Keep going, and take it one step at a time. You’re doing great!

It’s really tough to deal with compulsive hoarding, I know. I’ve been struggling with it too, and it can feel overwhelming at times. I’ve found that it’s important to recognize when our habit of hoarding crosses the line, and it’s definitely not easy. Asking myself why I’m drawn to these items has been really helpful for me, like you mentioned. And involving friends and family for support has made a big difference. It’s good to have someone else’s perspective without judgment. Decluttering and organizing can be a slow process, but it’s worth it in the end. Hang in there – you’re not alone in this!

Hey there! It sounds like you’re really putting in the effort to work through your struggles with hoarding, and that in itself is a huge step. I totally understand how overwhelming it can feel, but it’s important to remember that you’re not alone in this. Recognizing when our habits become problematic isn’t easy, and it takes courage to address it head-on. I’ve found that asking myself those tough questions about why I’m drawn to certain items has been really enlightening. And involving friends and loved ones in the process can bring a fresh perspective and the support we need. It’s great that you’re taking steps to declutter and organize, even if it’s a slow process. Remember to be kind to yourself throughout this journey, and know that there are people here who understand and are rooting for you.

Hey there, I’ve been in a similar situation before and I know how tough it can be to cope with compulsive hoarding. It’s great that you’re acknowledging the issue and trying to work through it. It’s totally normal to feel overwhelmed, but you’re not alone. I’ve found that recognizing the line between collecting and hoarding is a big step, and being mindful of the reasons behind hoarding can really help. And you’re right, enlisting support from friends and loved ones can make a huge difference. They can offer a different perspective and help you declutter without judgment. You’ve got this, and remember, it’s okay to take things one step at a time.

Hey, I totally get where you’re coming from. Dealing with compulsive hoarding is tough, and recognizing when it’s becoming a problem can be even tougher. I’ve found that asking myself why I’m drawn to certain items has been really helpful, just like you mentioned. And getting support from friends and loved ones has made a big difference for me too - sometimes they see things in a different light that I hadn’t even considered. It’s definitely a process, but taking those small steps to declutter and organize can make a big difference in the long run. Hang in there, you’re not alone in this!

I completely understand where you’re coming from. It’s tough to admit when something has gone from being a simple hobby to something that’s causing a lot of stress and discomfort. I’ve found that being mindful of why I’m drawn to keeping certain items has been really helpful. It’s like taking a step back and seeing the bigger picture. And you’re absolutely right about enlisting support from friends and loved ones. Sometimes, they can bring a fresh perspective that I hadn’t even considered. It’s a slow process, but taking small steps towards decluttering and organizing has made a big difference for me. Hang in there, and remember that progress is progress no matter how small.

Hey, I totally get where you’re coming from. Dealing with compulsive hoarding is no joke, and it can be really overwhelming. Recognizing when it becomes a problem is such a huge step, so kudos to you for that. I’ve found that trying to understand the reasons behind my need to hoard has been super helpful too. It’s like, once you know why you’re drawn to certain items, it’s easier to start decluttering and organizing. And having support from friends and loved ones is crucial. They can offer a totally different perspective without any judgment, which is so important. Just take it one step at a time and be gentle with yourself. You’ve got this!

Hey, I totally get where you’re coming from. Dealing with compulsive hoarding can feel really overwhelming at times. I’ve also struggled with recognizing when my collecting starts to become something more problematic. It’s hard to admit when our own behaviors may be veering into unhealthy territory. I try to stay mindful of why I’m drawn to certain items too - is it for a sense of comfort or security? And it’s so true that enlisting support from friends and family can be really helpful. They can bring a fresh perspective without any judgment. Working together to simplify things can make a huge difference. Keep at it, and remember that it’s okay to ask for help when you need it. You’re not alone in this struggle!