Could my restless nights be signs of manic depression

I’ve been having a lot of restless nights lately, and I’m starting to wonder if it could be related to bipolar disorder, which I’ve heard called manic depression. Some nights I barely sleep but don’t feel tired the next day. My thoughts move fast, I get unusually talkative, and I start making plans or spending money more impulsively than usual.

Other times it feels more like regular anxiety, so I’m not sure what to make of it. I know poor sleep can affect mood on its own, and one restless stretch probably doesn’t mean much. Still, the change from my usual pattern has me paying attention.

Has anyone had this kind of sleep change checked out by a doctor or therapist?

1 Like

Jessica, the part about barely sleeping without feeling tired, along with faster thoughts and impulsive spending, is worth bringing to a doctor or therapist. Anxiety can disrupt sleep too, but that combination deserves a proper assessment rather than trying to label it yourself.

I’d track your sleep, mood, energy, talking, and spending for a couple of weeks and take those notes to an appointment. If you go several nights with little sleep, feel out of control, or start making risky decisions, reach out sooner. A clinician can also check for other causes, including medication effects or health issues.

1 Like

The suggestion to track spending along with sleep is especially useful. I’ve noticed that mood changes can seem vague until there’s a record showing several things shifting at once.

I’d probably add caffeine, medications, and major stressors to the notes too. Those can muddy the picture, and having the details written down would make it easier for a clinician to spot patterns without relying on memory.