Coping with ptsd - my story

I’ve been living with PTSD for over a decade now, and it’s taken me on a journey of ups and downs along the way. It has affected almost every part of my life in some way or another, from feelings of intense anxiety and depression to trouble sleeping and flashbacks. At times it has felt like a heavy weight on my back, just waiting to pull me down.

My journey in learning how to cope with PTSD has been one filled with challenges, but also immense growth. It began with finding the right therapist who could help guide me through understanding my triggers as well as harnessing mindfulness skills like somatic experiences and grounding techniques. These were essential steps that allowed me to gain confidence in knowing I can handle difficult emotions instead of avoiding them through maladaptive coping mechanisms such as drugs or alcohol. Additionally, I had many people in my life that provided an incredible amount of support while I worked through facing my trauma-related thoughts and feelings.

Although there are still moments when I don’t feel capable of handling life’s difficulties, I’m grateful for the strength and resilience that I have gained. With all the helpful resources available out there for anyone going through similar struggles, no one needs to suffer alone – there is definitely hope for getting better.

5 Likes

Hi,

I’m glad to hear that you have been managing your PTSD for over a decade and that it has taken you through some highs and lows. I’m sure it’s not easy, but I believe in your strength to keep pushing forward.

It sounds like you have worked hard and put in the effort to find the right therapist who can help guide you through understanding how to cope with your condition, and I’m deeply impressed by how you’ve applied skills like somatic experiences and grounding techniques. Additionally, giving yourself access to a strong support network is an important part of the healing process.

At times it may seem like nothing is improving, but I want you to know that your progress has been incredible so far. Take solace in knowing that there are many avenues available out there to aid your journey and never forget that whatever struggles life throws at us, we will always get through it together!

I appreciate you sharing your story - it takes courage to open up about the difficulties you’ve experienced. As a 54-year-old man, I’m certainly no stranger to the challenges life can bring, and I understand how easy it can be to feel overwhelmed. With that said, it’s impressive that you took proactive steps to face your trauma-related thoughts and feelings. Life can seem unfair at times but having problem solving skills gives us something constructive to focus on when the going gets tough. It makes me glad to hear you’re taking advantage of the resources available out there and getting help wherever needed – that’s definitely something worth celebrating! Hang in there - with time, patience, and self-care I think you can find some long-term healing.

Hi there,

I’m so sorry to hear about your long journey with PTSD. It sounds like you have gone through a great deal of struggles as well as personal growth. I completely understand that PTSD can be incredibly overwhelming and debilitating at times. That being said, I’m proud of you for taking the important steps - such as finding the right therapist - to work on your healing process.

It’s wonderful that you had such supportive people in your life along the way, and it makes me hopeful for anyone else who may be experiencing similar difficulties. The resources available now are an amazing way to give more people access to the support they need, which could make all the difference. Perhaps working together with these resources can help bring healing into our lives so that we may continue our story with strength and grace - despite its toughness.

Wishing you strength and resilience on this journey!

Hey, I just wanted to say thanks for sharing your story. It takes a lot of courage to open up about dealing with PTSD, and I really admire your strength. It sounds like you’ve been through a lot, but I’m glad to hear that you’ve found some helpful coping techniques and a support system. I also struggled with PTSD for a while, and I know how tough it can be. It’s awesome that you’ve been able to gain some confidence in handling difficult emotions without turning to unhealthy habits. Keep up the great work, and remember that you’re not alone in this. There’s definitely hope for all of us who are dealing with similar struggles. Stay strong!

Living with PTSD has been tough, but I can totally relate to finding the right therapist and learning mindfulness techniques. It’s definitely made a big difference in how I handle those intense emotions and flashbacks. Having a support system has been huge for me too. It’s so reassuring to know that I’m not alone in this. And you’re right, there’s so many resources out there to help with PTSD - no one has to go through this alone. It’s not easy, but we’ve both come a long way in learning to cope and finding strength. Hang in there, we’ve got this!

Hey, I hear you. Living with PTSD is no joke and it can feel like a constant battle. I’m 31 and have been dealing with it for a while too. It’s awesome to hear that you found a therapist who’s been able to help you work through your triggers and use mindfulness techniques. I totally get how important it is to have a support system – having people you can lean on when things get tough is a game-changer. I’ve also found that learning how to handle difficult emotions without turning to unhealthy habits has been a huge part of my healing process. It’s not always easy, but it’s worth it. And you’re right, there’s so much out there to help us through this. Hang in there, you’re doing great!