Coping with ptsd in my own way

It’s been a long ride coming to terms with my PTSD, but I’m finally in a place where I can comfortably manage it on my own. It’s been almost a decade since the original trauma that caused the PTSD–nearly an entire lifetime! Thus far into my journey of recovery, I’ve found that certain self-care habits and lifestyle choices have married together to help mitigate some of the symptoms.

Mindful practices such as meditation, journaling, and yoga help to keep me grounded and connected to myself in moments of extreme emotion or physical sensations related to the PTSD. Additionally, therapy and support from close friends and family provide emotional stability which prevents me from going through life completely alone in my healing process.

It feels nice knowing that I’m not only taking steps towards my own personal growth but helping others do the same by sharing what I’ve learned during this journey. Umbrella organizations devoted to raise awareness about mental health have granted me the opportunity to give back and be an advocate for those who are still trying to find resolutions for their individual traumas. Doing so allows me to strengthen our society as whole by promoting acceptance as well as destigmatizing conversation around mental health topics such as anxiety, depression, bipolar disorder, etc.

I don’t think there will ever come a day when I won’t feel residual effects from my personal trauma; however, understanding that it will never go away has also enabled me to learn how to better cope with it on a day-to-day basis so that it no longer dictates how I move and act throughout life. For me personally speaking—this has been one of the most rewarding realizations thus far on this healing path.