Compulsive urges keep hijacking my plans

The compulsive urges keep hijacking my plans. I’ll have a simple list in front of me, feel like I’m finally getting somewhere, and then one urge shows up and takes over the whole afternoon. Sometimes it’s checking, sometimes spending time on something pointless, and sometimes it’s just repeating the same thought until I’m too worn out to do anything else.

The frustrating part is that I usually know what’s happening while it’s happening. I can see the plan slipping away, but resisting feels almost impossible in the moment. Then I’m left feeling guilty, even though I didn’t exactly choose to lose hours to it.

I’ve started writing down what I intended to do before the urge hits, since seeing it on paper sometimes helps me come back to it. It doesn’t work every time, but occasionally it creates enough of a pause to make a different choice. Does anyone else find that the urge gets stronger when they’re already tired or stressed?

3 Likes

The tiredness definitely makes the urges louder for me. Once I’m worn down, even a small checking habit can turn into an hour, and guilt usually keeps me stuck longer.

Writing down the next task has helped me too, especially when I make it very small. One time I wrote “open the document” instead of “finish the report,” and that was enough to get moving again without arguing with the urge.

@Antonio_Lowery, the part about knowing it’s happening while still feeling unable to stop really hit home. That awareness can almost make the guilt worse, even though noticing the urge isn’t the same as choosing it.

One thing that helped me was adding a short “reset” step to the written plan, like standing up, getting water, and setting a five-minute timer before deciding what to do next. It doesn’t always stop the compulsion, but it creates a break instead of letting the whole afternoon disappear automatically. Tiredness definitely makes that pause harder, so I try to lower the task even more on those days.

@Antonio_Lowery, I’ve noticed the same thing with tiredness. Once I’m worn out, the urge feels less like a choice and more like the only thing I can focus on, even when I know it’s pulling me away from what I planned.

Writing the plan down sounds useful, especially because it gives me something concrete to return to after getting stuck. I’ve had better luck when the next step is almost ridiculously small, like opening the file or putting one item away. Do you find the written reminder helps more before the urge starts, or after you’ve already been caught in it?