Cism helped me get through a crisis but the feelings still come back

CISM helped me get through a crisis

I went through CISM after a really difficult crisis, and it gave me enough structure to get through the first few weeks. Talking it out, hearing that my reactions weren’t completely unusual, and having someone help me focus on the next small step made a real difference.

The hard part is that the feelings still come back. Sometimes it’s a sudden wave of panic or guilt, and other times I’m just back in that heavy, unsettled place without much warning. I can function better now, but that doesn’t mean I’m finished dealing with it.

Has anyone else found that CISM helped at first, but the emotions kept returning later?

1 Like

@Melanie_Matthews, the part about functioning better but still feeling unsettled really makes sense to me. I’ve had times where I looked fine on the outside, then a random reminder brought the panic or guilt back almost like it had been waiting.

CISM seems useful for getting through the immediate aftermath, but maybe it isn’t meant to erase everything that follows. Have you found anything that helps when those waves come back, or do they still feel pretty unpredictable?

1 Like

@Steven_Garcia, that “looked fine on the outside” part can be so misleading. I’ve had reminders catch me off guard too, especially when I thought I was past the worst of it.

What helps me is noticing the first physical signs, then slowing things down before the panic builds. A few steady breaths, naming what I’m seeing, and reminding myself that the memory isn’t happening again can take some of the power out of it. It doesn’t stop every wave, but it makes them feel less unpredictable.