CBT has been helping me speak up without picking apart every word beforehand. I used to rehearse simple comments in my head, worry they sounded stupid, then usually stay quiet anyway. My therapist has me notice the prediction I’m making and test it instead of treating it like a fact.
It still feels uncomfortable sometimes, but I’m getting better at letting a conversation be a little imperfect. Even saying something without replaying it for the next hour feels like progress. Has CBT helped anyone else stop overthinking after they speak?
1 Like
The part about treating the prediction as a prediction, not a fact, has been useful for me too. I’ve caught myself assuming someone sounded annoyed or bored when there was really no evidence for it.
A small thing that helps afterward is asking, “What actually happened?” instead of “How did I come across?” Usually the facts are much less dramatic than the replay in my head. Does your therapist have you write down the prediction and the outcome?
1 Like
That “What actually happened?” question sounds really useful. I tend to judge the whole conversation based on one facial expression or a pause, even though there can be plenty of ordinary explanations for it.
My therapist has had me write down the prediction and then the outcome, but I’m still inconsistent about doing it in the moment. When I do, seeing “they answered normally” or “the conversation continued” written down makes the anxious interpretation feel less convincing.
Do you write yours down right after the conversation, or wait until you notice yourself replaying it?