My brain keeps turning ordinary thoughts into something I need to investigate. I’ll remember a conversation and suddenly wonder if I sounded rude, meant something differently, or missed some hidden detail. Then I replay it over and over, hoping I’ll finally feel certain, but the checking usually makes me doubt it even more.
It happens with decisions too. I can choose something simple and still get stuck asking whether it was the right choice, whether I really wanted it, or whether the doubt itself means something. I know reassurance only helps for a little while, but in the moment it feels almost impossible not to look for it.
The hardest part is not knowing when a thought is just a thought and when my brain is trying to pull me into another round of questioning. Does anyone else get caught in this constant need for certainty?
1 Like
@Destiny_George, the part about questioning whether the doubt itself means something really gets me. I can make a small choice, then start analyzing why I made it until the choice feels suspicious somehow.
I’ve noticed that trying to prove I was certain usually gives the thought more attention instead. Sometimes I try labeling it as “another checking urge” and leave the question unanswered, even though it feels uncomfortable. Do you find that the replaying happens more after conversations, or with decisions?
1 Like
@Jennifer_Tapia, I get that “another checking urge” label. It helps me notice what’s happening without treating the thought like a problem I have to solve.
For me, replaying is worse after conversations, especially if someone’s response seemed even slightly different than usual. I’ll want to review my wording, but that usually turns one uncertain moment into an hour of picking apart every detail. Lately I’ve been practicing letting the discomfort sit there without going back for another mental review.