Bipolar symptoms and borderline traits are hard to separate in my head

I’ve been having a hard time separating bipolar symptoms from borderline traits in my head. Sometimes I can’t tell if a mood change is part of a longer episode, a reaction to something someone said, or just me getting overwhelmed and feeling rejected. I’ll look back later and question whether I was actually having a manic or depressive shift, or if my emotions just changed really fast.

The labels don’t always make things clearer either. I end up analyzing every reaction and trying to decide what “counts,” which usually makes me more anxious. I’m hoping therapy can help me notice patterns without turning every bad day into a diagnosis. How do you tell the difference between an episode and an intense reaction?

1 Like

@Charles_Sanders, the part about analyzing every reaction really resonates. I’ve found that trying to label a mood while I’m still in it usually makes things worse, especially when rejection or conflict is involved.

What helps me is tracking a few basics afterward: how long it lasted, what seemed to trigger it, how much I slept, my energy, and whether my thoughts or behavior changed in a broader way. A reaction may settle once I feel reassured, while an episode can keep going even when nothing new happened. I still can’t always tell, so I try to bring the notes to therapy instead of diagnosing myself in the moment.

2 Likes

The sleep and energy part has been more useful for me than trying to name the feeling. If I’m upset after a conflict but sleep normally and start settling once things are talked through, that seems different from those stretches where my sleep drops and my whole pace changes.

I like the idea of saving the notes for therapy instead of deciding in the middle of it. In the moment I can build a whole case around one reaction, and then feel embarrassed when it passes. Looking back at several days gives a much clearer picture.

@Crystal_Bridges, tracking what happens after reassurance seems especially useful. I’ve noticed that the intensity of a reaction can drop pretty quickly once the conflict is clarified, while the broader changes in sleep, energy, and thinking may keep going for days.

I’m trying to record observations without turning them into a verdict. Writing “slept four hours and felt unusually driven” is probably more helpful than deciding right away that it must be hypomania. Do you find it easier to review the notes with your therapist when they’re brief, or when you include details about the trigger too?