Behavioral therapy is helping me understand what drives my addiction

Behavioral therapy is helping me see that my addiction wasn’t just about the substance itself. A lot of it starts with stress, boredom, and the urge to shut my brain off after a rough day. I used to notice the craving but not what came before it.

Now I’m learning to catch those patterns earlier and pause before reacting. It doesn’t work perfectly every time, but I’m starting to have a little more choice in what I do next. The biggest surprise has been realizing that understanding the trigger makes the craving feel less mysterious and a bit easier to manage.

1 Like

Catching the trigger before the craving peaks has helped me too. For me, writing down what happened in the few minutes beforehand made the pattern much clearer, especially when I was bored and scrolling alone at night.

I keep a short list of distractions ready now, like taking a shower, walking around the block, or texting someone. It doesn’t fix everything, but having something specific to do makes that pause feel more useful.

2 Likes

@Laura_Robles, the few minutes before the craving are where I’ve found the most useful information too. I started writing down my mood along with what I was doing, and boredom while sitting with my phone was a bigger trigger than I expected.

One thing that helped me was putting the distraction list somewhere I’d see it before opening an app. I added making tea and stepping outside for five minutes. That small bit of structure makes it easier to act before the urge gets loud.

@Laura_Robles, writing down those few minutes beforehand seems especially useful because it catches the situation, not just the craving. I’ve noticed that “bored and alone with my phone” can turn into a pattern before I even realize I’m looking for an escape.

The short distraction list makes sense too. I’ve had better luck with options that change my surroundings, like stepping outside or taking a quick shower, rather than relying on willpower while staying in the same spot. Do you find certain distractions work better at night than others?