Behavioral therapy is helping me understand my addiction better

Therapy has helped me see that my addiction isn’t just about wanting the substance. We’ve been looking at what happens before I use, like feeling rejected, getting overwhelmed, or trying to shut off a bad thought. I used to treat those moments like they came out of nowhere, but now I’m starting to notice the pattern earlier.

One thing that stuck with me was writing down what I was feeling right before a craving. I expected it to be anger most of the time, but it’s often loneliness or stress instead. That was uncomfortable to admit, but it gives me something more useful to work with than just telling myself to have better self-control.

Has behavioral therapy helped anyone else recognize triggers they didn’t notice before?

2 Likes

@Christopher_Whitney, the part about expecting anger but finding loneliness really hit me. I’ve had cravings show up after feeling left out or stressed, and I didn’t always connect those feelings to using until later.

Writing it down seems useful because it slows the whole thing down a little. Once the trigger has a name, it feels easier to choose something else, even if that choice is just stepping away, calling someone, or sitting with the feeling for a few minutes.

1 Like

@Christopher_Whitney, noticing the trigger before the craving peaks has been useful for me too. I’ve caught myself wanting to use after a stressful day, when what I really wanted was to stop feeling wound up and alone.

Writing it down made that clearer. One time I called someone and went for a short walk instead, which didn’t fix everything, but it gave the feeling time to pass.

@Stephanie_Glass, I’ve found that “left out” can be harder to recognize than plain loneliness. Sometimes I tell myself I’m just irritated about something small, but underneath it I’m feeling forgotten or disconnected. That’s usually when the urge gets louder.

Putting the feeling into words has helped me pause before reacting. Even saying to myself, “I feel shut out right now,” takes some of the pressure out of it. Calling someone isn’t always easy, but a short walk or changing rooms can create enough space to make a different choice.