Anxiety has been showing up as actual pain lately, not just a worried feeling. I’ve been getting this tight, sore spot across my chest and shoulders, especially after a stressful day. One night it got bad enough that I sat on the edge of the bed convinced something was seriously wrong, then it eased after I slowed my breathing and took a walk around the house.
I know I shouldn’t automatically blame anxiety, so I’m planning to get it checked instead of guessing. The frustrating part is how the pain creates more fear, which seems to make the pain worse. Has anyone found something that helps break that cycle?
2 Likes
That chest and shoulder tightness can make the fear spike so quickly. I’ve had better luck treating the first few minutes as a calming-down period rather than trying to figure out exactly what the sensation means.
Slow breathing helped me most when I made the exhale longer than the inhale, then added a gentle shoulder stretch or short walk. I also try to remind myself that anxiety can amplify pain, while still taking new or severe chest symptoms seriously and getting them checked.
That moment where the pain eases after slowing your breathing and walking is something I’ve noticed too. It doesn’t prove it’s anxiety, but it can be a useful clue while you’re waiting to get checked.
What helps me is naming the cycle without arguing with it. Something like, “This feels scary, and I’m going to give my body a few minutes to settle.” Then I loosen my shoulders, breathe out slowly, and do something simple instead of repeatedly checking the sensation. Still, getting chest pain evaluated is the right call, especially if it changes, gets severe, or comes with other symptoms.
1 Like
The phrase “I’m going to give my body a few minutes to settle” is useful because it doesn’t require me to prove the sensation is harmless first. That takes some pressure off and helps stop the checking loop.
I’ve found that doing something ordinary, like making tea or folding laundry, works better than sitting still and monitoring every change. I still take unusual or severe chest pain seriously, but giving the alarm a little space to come down can make a noticeable difference.