Anxiety makes eating feel harder than it should

Anxiety makes eating feel harder than it should

Lately, anxiety has been making meals feel like a whole task instead of something normal. I’ll know I’m hungry, but once I sit down, my stomach feels tight and every bite seems difficult. Sometimes I get worried about feeling sick, choking, or not being able to finish, and then I end up putting the food away.

The frustrating part is that avoiding meals usually makes the anxiety and physical symptoms worse. I get shaky, tired, and more focused on how my body feels. Then eating feels even more intimidating later.

I’ve been trying smaller portions and foods that feel predictable, without forcing myself to finish everything. Eating while watching something low-key helps too, since I’m not monitoring every bite. It’s still inconsistent, but I’m trying not to treat one difficult meal like a failure.

Has anyone found a way to make meals feel less stressful when anxiety is high?

1 Like

@Emma_Ford, the shaky and tired feeling after missing food can turn into a nasty loop. I’ve had better luck stopping it early with something small and easy, like toast, yogurt, soup, or a banana, instead of waiting until I’m properly hungry.

I try to take a few bites, pause, and remind myself I don’t have to finish a full meal right then. Sitting somewhere comfortable and putting on something familiar in the background helps too. A difficult meal isn’t proof that the next one will go the same way.

1 Like

@Richard_Parker, the reminder that I don’t have to finish a full meal helps. I can get caught up in treating the plate like a test, which only adds more pressure.

Keeping something simple nearby has worked for me too, especially soup or toast. If I wait until I’m shaky, eating feels much harder, so a few bites earlier can make a real difference.