Air hunger keeps making me think something is seriously wrong

The air hunger has been getting in my head lately. I’ll be sitting there breathing normally, but it still feels like I can’t get a satisfying breath. Then my brain jumps straight to something being seriously wrong.

I’ve checked my breathing more times than I can count, which only seems to make the sensation worse. The more I focus on it, the more I try to force a deep breath, and then I end up feeling even more uncomfortable. It’s a horrible loop.

I know anxiety can cause this, but knowing that doesn’t stop the fear when it’s happening. I’m trying to slow my breathing and distract myself instead of constantly testing whether I can take a full breath. Has anyone else had this feeling hang around for days?

2 Likes

@Robert_Rogers, the part about forcing a deep breath made me think of what helped me. I stopped trying to “finish” the breath and switched to a longer, gentle exhale instead. Forcing the inhale seemed to keep the air hunger going.

I’d put one hand on my stomach and breathe normally while slowly counting out the exhale, then focus on something in the room. It didn’t disappear immediately, but after a few minutes the urge to keep testing my breathing eased. If this is new, severe, or comes with chest pain, faintness, blue lips, or real trouble breathing, I’d get medical help rather than assuming it’s anxiety.

@Robert_Rogers, I’ve had that same “unsatisfying breath” feeling stick around for several days, and the checking made it much louder. I’d take a breath, decide it wasn’t deep enough, then immediately try again. Pretty soon I was monitoring every inhale.

What helped me more was letting the breath be normal instead of trying to get one perfect deep breath. I’d make the exhale a little slower, drop my shoulders, and put my attention on something outside my body. It felt wrong at first, but the urge to test it eased when I stopped feeding the loop.

Still, if this is new for you or comes with actual breathing difficulty, chest pain, faintness, or blue lips, I wouldn’t just write it off as anxiety.