Ahs addiction counselling left me more overwhelmed than helped

I tried AHS addiction counselling hoping it would help me get some structure, but I left feeling more overwhelmed than when I went in. There was a lot to take in, and I wasn’t really sure what I was supposed to do between appointments. I know support can’t fix everything right away, but I expected to leave with at least one or two practical things to work on.

Instead, I felt like I was failing at counselling too. Maybe the timing or the type of support just wasn’t right for me, but now I’m hesitant to try again. Has anyone had a better experience with AHS addiction counselling, or found a way to make it feel more manageable?

1 Like

Andrea, the “failing at counselling” feeling is brutal, especially when you went in looking for structure. I had better luck asking at the end for one specific task to do before the next appointment, not a list of general advice.

I’d say something like, “Can we pick one thing I can practise this week, and write down what success looks like?” For me, having it on paper made the next week feel manageable. If the counsellor still can’t make it concrete, it seems reasonable to ask about a different approach or provider.

2 Likes

@Robert_Morris, asking for one clearly defined task seems like a useful way to keep the appointment from turning into a pile of advice. I’ve found that “what does success look like?” can make a vague goal much less intimidating.

Writing it down matters too. When I’m stressed, I can nod along during a session and remember almost none of it later. Did you usually bring your notes back to the next appointment, or did you have to remind the counsellor about the task yourself?

@Robert_Morris, putting “what does success look like?” into the conversation is a useful detail. I’ve sometimes left appointments with a goal that sounded reasonable but was too vague to act on once I got home.

I like the idea of writing down one task and bringing it back next time. It gives the counsellor something concrete to ask about, and it also shows whether the plan actually fits real life. Did you usually write the task down during the appointment, or ask them to provide it afterward?