Wokplace ptsd is real

I’d like to share a story for several reasons. First, I need to vent, as this has weighed on me for a long time. Secondly, I hope to get a reaffirmation that this is real and I am not overly sensitive.

I worked for a place for eight years. In those eight years, I’ve been through many roles and different levels of responsibility. During some projects, I had to work nights and weekends, but this was not an issue. I don’t mind working, and I don’t mind working hard.

The problem that I feel makes or breaks your work life is related directly to your immediate manager. I was fortunate enough to have great managers throughout my time there. They respected me and treated me well. They were the reason I stayed for so long. But it all came crashing down when my final manager quit the company, and I reported to his manager (let’s call him X).

X and I had a prior work history, and he and I were peers at a different company. We were acquaintances, “buddies.” When he got hired at this company, he was ambitious and determined to climb the corporate ladder, worked hard, and got there. For that, I was proud of him.

I chose not to follow that career path, and I worked very little with him, as there were now layers. He got up to corporate management, and I was a couple of layers under.

So now we come to the moment I start reporting to him directly. And this guy, my “buddy,” is one of the worst managers I’ve ever had. The list is extensive, but a few examples are: 1. Asked closed-ended questions. He was not interested in helping move ideas further; he wanted to know how to dismiss the idea. No support. 2. He spoke and never actually listened. 3. He always said he was my friend, but his actions did not back them up.

In the end, there came the point if I had a meeting scheduled with him, I would start stressing out just knowing that I had to talk to him. If I got a message or email, I had to think twice about how I responded, as everything would be used against me.

These reasons may sound petty and insignificant, but in large volumes and constant exposure, it piles on and starts impacting personal well-being and mental stability. As a result, I became nervous, jumpy, and angry at times.

And so I quit.

And here lies my issue. It has been just about a year since I left that company, but I cannot shake it out of my memory for the first time in my life. I keep thinking about situations I was in, how I responded, and how I should have responded. And this is in constant loopback. It is stuck in my head in a replay, and I can’t shake it.

Workplace PTSD is real, and while I do not wish this on anyone, I hope someone out there can re-affirm that I am not the only one.

It can be difficult to deal with the aftermath of a traumatic event at work. Here are some tips that may help you cope:

-Talk to someone who can understand what you’re going through. This could be a therapist, counselor, or support group.

-Find healthy ways to cope with your emotions. This could include exercise, journaling, or spending time outside in nature.

-Try to maintain a routine and structure in your life. This can help you feel more in control and provide a sense of stability.

-Be patient with yourself. It takes time to heal and you will get there in your own time.

1 Like