Why many Indians don’t trust mental health advice

I recently read an article about why many Indians don’t trust mental health advice. As someone from India, this really resonated with me. Mental health is such an important issue, and it’s incredibly discouraging to see that many people are not getting the help they need because of the stigma surrounding mental health. It’s heartbreaking to think that people are so afraid of judgement and rejection that they are not willing to seek out the help they need.

I think that the only way to make a difference is to talk about mental health openly and honestly. We need to break down the stigma surrounding mental health and make it easier for people to get the help they need. We need to start having more conversations about mental health and make it more socially acceptable to ask for help. Only then can we hope to make a real difference in the lives of those struggling with mental illness.

1 Like

I completely understand why many Indians are reluctant to trust mental health advice. It’s really hard for people to talk about their mental health issues when it is not seen as acceptable in Indian society. People end up feeling ashamed or embarrassed, which prevents them from seeking out the help they need.

However, I do think that there is real value in talking openly and honestly about mental health issues within our culture. We need to build a space where it’s okay for people to seek help if they need it, and also understand that asking for help does not mean we are weak or unsuccessful. Educating ourselves and others on the signs of mental illness and understanding how to access resources can go a long way towards helping those who are struggling with their mental health.