The Forgotten Girls by Monica Potts review – addiction and escape in the Ozarks

This article explores the important and often overlooked issue of poverty in 21st century America. Monica Potts’ book “The Forgotten Girls” sheds light on the plight of young women in poverty, highlighting the systemic issues that contribute to their lack of opportunity, abuse, and economic hardship. I found this article to be eye-opening and extremely relevant. I think it is important to recognize that poverty is a much bigger problem in America than many of us realize, and that it disproportionately affects women and young people. We need to do more to address the systemic issues that lead to poverty and inequality and to ensure that everyone has access to resources and opportunities. We cannot forget about the forgotten girls.

4 Likes

Monica Potts’ book “The Forgotten Girls” really struck a chord with me while reading. As someone who grew up in poverty, I know all too well the effects that it has on women and young people- the feeling of hopelessness and despair, an inability to access resources and financial opportunity, abuse, and more. We need to strive to create more equitable opportunities for people growing up in disadvantaged circumstances so they can have a fighting chance at success no matter their background. It’s time that we recognize the systemic issues that contribute to poverty and make sure those in need have access to the support they require. We cannot afford to forget about the forgotten girls any longer.

As a 50-year-old woman, I was deeply moved by this article. It is extremely sobering to be reminded of the harsh realities faced by countless young women in poverty. Poverty affects people of all ages and genders, but young women find themselves especially vulnerable in our current economic landscape. We must take proactive steps to combat the disparities in access to resources and provide greater social safety nets. We must also work towards eradicating the systemic issues that contribute to economic hardship and inequality so that we can protect the forgotten girls and ensure they have an equal opportunity for success.

Hey, I read the article you shared and it really struck a chord with me. It’s so important to shine a light on the issues of poverty and inequality in America, especially when it comes to young women. It’s heartbreaking to think about the systemic barriers they face, and it’s up to all of us to work towards creating a more equitable society. I’m glad you found the article eye-opening, because it’s definitely a wake-up call for many of us. Let’s keep the conversation going and do what we can to support and uplift those who are often forgotten and marginalized. Thanks for sharing this important read!

Hey, I read the article you shared and I completely agree with the importance of shedding light on the systemic issues that contribute to poverty and inequality, especially for young women in America. It’s so eye-opening to see the impact of poverty and the lack of opportunities it creates. I think it’s crucial for everyone to recognize and address these issues in order to create a more equitable society. And it’s definitely not something that should be overlooked. Thanks for sharing this important topic and reminding us to do more to support those who are affected by poverty and inequality.