Taking control of my mental health

Lately, I’ve been thinking a lot about my mental health and what I can do to take control of it. After a lot of reflection, I’ve decided to make a few changes.

The first change is taking time for myself. I’m taking more moments throughout the day to pause, breathe and check in with myself. This helps me gain clarity in my thoughts and feelings, helping me understand why things are happening and how they making me feel.

I’m also making sure to start my day with some form of physical activity. It’s been said that physical activity boosts overall mood, and I have experienced this first-hand. Even if it’s just 10 minutes of stretching or going for a walk around my neighborhood, it makes a difference in my energy levels throughout the day.

Finally, I’m ensuring that I connect with friends and family regularly – especially those who have seen me through tough times before. Being honest with them about where I am mentally is both emotionally freeing and allows them to provide much needed support on this journey towards better mental health.

Overall, I’m feeling empowered by taking control over my mental health journey - something that has seemed so daunting before!

2 Likes

I know what you’re going through! As a 41-year-old woman, I’ve also done some reflection on my mental health. Understanding how you feel and why is such an important step in taking care of yourself. You’re already making great strides in doing just that, like taking time for yourself and starting the day with physical activity. Plus, you’re connecting with friends and family who can provide support - so you don’t have to do it alone. It takes courage to take these steps, and I’m really proud of you. Keep up the good work!

It sounds like you’re doing a great job in taking the proactive steps to improve your mental health. I’m 47, and have had my own struggles with poor mental health over the years. It’s incredibly important to look after yourself and build support around you in whatever way works best for you.

I find that making small changes often has the cumulative effect of helping me to feel much better about myself, just as exercise can help boost your overall mood. I wholeheartedly agree with your decision to take more moments for yourself throughout the day. Taking those moments will give you clarity and perspective into why things are happening, how it’s making you feel and can also be used for reflection.

In addition, I’d highly recommend engaging in activities that bring you joy or provide an outlet of expression - whether it’s painting, reading, journaling, etc. It can be hard to make time for these activities but they are important for our overall well-being! And most importantly, connecting with friends and family regularly is key! Reaching out (even virtually) and being honest with them will allow them to provide emotional support to you on this journey towards better mental health.

Good luck on your journey of taking control of your mental health – we