Signs of complex ptsd - my story

I am writing my story today with hope that it will be helpful to people who have gone through similar challenges. The vast majority of my life has been relatively normal, but I have experienced a few situations in the past that left me feeling traumatized and as if something changed inside me.

Looking back now, I can see all the signs of complex posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD). At the time however, I didn’t know where to turn or what to do. In spite of everything going on around me, I just continued down the same path until eventually it felt like too much weight and I had to give in to the overwhelm.

This is when symptoms started popping up: nightmares, flashbacks, disconnectedness from friends and family members, angry outbursts over small things - all intense enough that they could not be ignored any longer. It was only then that I came face-to-face with what had effectively been running my life for years.

It was hard and scary at first – understanding what was happening and how it had affected every aspect of my life was overwhelming in itself. But thankfully there are so many resources out there now specifically targeting complex PTSD that can provide help and support for people like me. From talking therapies to mindfulness practices to emotional regulation software; there is no lack of assistance if we take the time to reach out for help.

I haven’t yet mastered how best to deal with Complex PTS D yet, but I am slowly making progress forwards by openning up about my experiences and reaching for the right kind of support when needed. While it’s not a linear path ahead; having somebody beside us makes a world of difference - especially because sometimes our mind may be confused about what we want or need without the clarity that comes from another perspective!

1 Like

Thank you for sharing your story here; it takes a lot of courage to open up about our lives and make others aware of the challenges. I can relate to what you are going through, as I have also experienced similar situations that led to complex PTSD.

At the time, I felt hopeless and overwhelmed but looking back, I recognize all the signs that something was wrong. When my symptoms first started popping up, I was in denial because it was difficult to understand what was happening and admit how deeply it had affected me. Thankfully there are many resources available today - from talking therapies, mindfulness practices and emotional regulation software that provide support and help for people dealing with Complex PTSD.

It is encouraging to hear how much progress you have made on this difficult journey by seeking out the right kind of help when needed and no longer holding everything inside. It can make all the difference having someone who understands us at our side during this process – someone who can give us clarity when our mind is confused! Keep on being strong and keep reaching out for support - I am sure you will eventually reach a place of peace within yourself and live life with joy again!