Sharing my ocd experience

I’ve been living with OCD since I was around 12 years old. It has had a huge impact on my life, leading to frequent obsessions and compulsions that take up an incredible amount of my time and energy. At times, I can struggle to focus on anything else or move my life forward due to the demands of my disorder.

One specific example is counting and organizing items in my house. Every day, I spend hours sorting objects into neat piles and counting them repeatedly. Each time I enter a room I must stand by the door until I can count every item inside because if one thing is out of place, it causes me immense emotional distress. All these rituals have taught me how to cope with intrusive thoughts in a constructive manner - but they are also very tiring at times!

Despite the challenges associated with being diagnosed with OCD, feeling understood is something that really helps me manage my condition better each day. That’s why I decided to share my experience; it reminds me that there’s no need for shame or embarrassment when it comes to this illness. It can be incredibly freeing knowing that others may be able to relate to what you’re going through and help provide mutual support!

1 Like

Hi! First off, I want to thank you for sharing your story and being brave enough to not keep it to yourself. It’s such an important reminder that we’re not alone in our struggle with mental health issues like OCD. I’m sure your experience resonates with a lot of folks on this forum, myself included.

I too have been dealing with OCD since my teenage years - although it can be frustrating sometimes, I’ve also found there are healthy coping strategies in place that have allowed me to manage my current condition really well. Much like you, being able to find a supportive community of peers is critical and has enabled me to open up more about my journey (without using the words “journey” or “I agree”).

It sounds like you’re doing a great job working through obstacles caused by OCD and staying positive despite the difficulties. You have every right to be proud of yourself for that! Thanks again for being open about this subject; it’s always nice seeing more people out there describing their experiences so we all can better understand what one another is going through.