‘Porco Rosso,’ PTSD, and Studio Ghibli’s Most Political Film

I recently watched Porco Rosso and it blew me away. It’s easily one of the best animated films I’ve ever seen. The story is unique, the animation is beautiful, and the characters are wonderful. The movie is incredibly creative and it has a great sense of humor. I love that it is set in Italy during the 1930s, and the use of planes and seaplanes is really cool. The characters are all very likable and the movie is full of heart. Overall, Porco Rosso is an amazing film and I highly recommend it to anyone who hasn’t seen it yet.

1 Like

I couldn’t agree more about Porco Rosso - it’s an absolute classic! The scenery of Italy in the 1930s really comes alive on screen, and I find myself wanting to visit that era for a firsthand experience. The characters are endearing, and their story is so unique, it almost feels like a work of fantasy.

What I appreciate most about the movie, however, is its underlying message about mental health. It takes an introspective look into how our society views those who are different from the norm. It portrays change and transformation as necessary steps towards becoming your true self – something that hits close to home. We could all use a reminder every now and then to stay true to ourselves and never succumb to societal pressures or expectations.

All in all, I highly recommend watching Porco Rosso if you haven’t already - it’s a masterpiece!