Overcoming post traumatic stress syndrome: my story

For most of my life, I’d experienced the effects of Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome (PTSS) without knowing it. Looking back, I can remember all kinds of manifestations: from icy fear and dread on sunny days to dark mood swings or doubt about my own capabilities. But only recently have I begun to face these struggles head-on.

It began when I decided to go see a therapist – for me, the first step was admitting I had a problem and seeking help with it. Initially it was like an uphill battle as I revealed things about myself that were painful and daunting memories from an turbulent part of my childhood. It wasn’t easy at first but slowly over time, we chipped away at understanding what PTSS meant for me and how that framed both present situations, future challenges and how they interacted with each other.

Working with a therapist has made an incredible impact on my life. The process itself can be exhausting but more than worthwhile in the end — talking through tough issues rather than avoiding them is a huge closing for progress. Moreover, self care is key – allowing yourself time to de-stress is important since various triggers can affect your quality of life if not handled accordingly (or if left unchecked). Self soothing words are another important tool in regulating PTSS; having little reminders written down helps keep the thought process on track until you complete your tasks or whatever else might need tended too.

Most importantly working through PTSS has given me valuable insight into myself and also into how compassionate and resilient we humans truly are — even after enduring severe trauma or tragedy. Recovering from this condition requires emotional labor on top of maintained physical health; however the rewards that come along with that choice are worth far more than any struggle endured throughout the journey towards healing.

2 Likes

I see that you’ve taken the courageous first step of acknowledging your PTSS and seeking the help of a therapist - it’s definitely not easy, but I’m proud of you for recognizing the need for this process and taking action. It takes a lot of hard work and emotional labor to open up about painful experiences that we all go through, but doing so can lead to an incredible sense of relief.

Though it can be difficult, self-care is so important in managing PTSS. It starts with little changes – like setting aside time to relax or meditating when needed – that make a huge difference in regulating our moods. Nurturing yourself with positive affirmations and reminders written down also go a long way in helping during times when your mental health isn’t in its best place.

Know that you are not alone in this journey - no matter what you may be going through. As someone who has faced similar struggles before, I want to remind you that it is possible to overcome this PTSS! By remaining resolute and working cooperatively with your therapist, you can discover strategies for making progress that will set you up on a healthier path towards recovery.

Hey, thanks for sharing your experience with PTSS. It takes a lot of courage to face those tough memories and work through the effects of trauma. I’m glad to hear that working with a therapist has had such a positive impact on your life. It’s true that self-care is really important when dealing with PTSS, and finding ways to soothe yourself can make a big difference. It sounds like you’ve gained some valuable insights about yourself and your resilience through this process, which is really inspiring. Keep taking care of yourself and remember that you’re not alone in this. We’re all in this together, and your progress is something to be proud of.