Overcoming eating disorders: my story

I have battled an eating disorder for much of my life. It has been a long journey filled with ups and downs, but I’m proud to say I’m finally in a much healthier place.

When I look back at where I began, it feels like lightyears away. Back then, I was consumed by calorie counting, food weighing and excessive exercise. Everything revolved around numbers; how many calories had I consumed? How much had I weighed? Couldn’t move on unless these numbers were correct. But no matter what I did, nothing ever felt good enough.

My recovery took time and it started with me reaching out for help from family and friends, discussing how I was feeling openly and honestly. With their support this allowed me to gain the strength to go to therapy and work through my thoughts and behaviors. It was a tough process but ever so rewarding.

Being aware of my thoughts, feelings and needs is now central to my wellbeing both physically and emotionally which also helps to keep the eating disorder in check. Eating smaller meals more regularly throughout the day gives me more fuel while mindfulness activities help me identify negative thought patterns helping me recognize when the eating disorder rears its ugly head before taking control again. It has taken years of hard work to get here but it is so worth it!

If you are struggling with an eating disorder please don’t be afraid to reach out for professional support - there is always hope!