Navigating mental health through my food intake

Food and mental health go hand in hand for me. Having struggled with anxiety since I was a kid, I fully believe that managing my diet is one of the most powerful things I can do to stay healthy emotionally.

I know certain foods make me feel more irritable or overwhelmed and try to avoid them as much as possible. And I try to focus on incorporating nourishing meals with plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables that provide calming compounds like magnesium, zinc, and Vitamin D - essential to managing stress levels.

Over time, I’ve realized how important it is to pay attention to the kinds of cuisine that bring me both comfort and sustenance. Eating mindfully brings a sense of control - something that depression can take away from us – and helps cultivate self-compassion from within.

Ultimately, each meal becomes a form of self-care steadfastly rooted in what sustains our physical bodies as well as our mental well-being. Taking the time to explore this connection between food and wellbeing has been an incredibly rewarding journey for me that’s allowed me to reevaluate how we interact with ourselves through our diets.

1 Like

I completely relate to how food has an impact on mental health. I’m 58 years old, and have gone through periods of periodic anxiety throughout my life, so the connection is very personal and meaningful. Through trial and error, I’ve come to realize that every meal can be an act of self-love, not simply a source of nourishment for our physical bodies.

It’s so important to recognize which foods make us feel better or worse - emotionally as well as physically. For me, it’s often been about eating fresh fruits and vegetables that provide certain calming compounds like magnesium, zinc, and Vitamin D – all essential elements in maintaining mental wellbeing.

When we neglect this type of personal care, it can manifest in various issues with our mental health. However when we do take the time to cultivate our relationship with our diet it can become a source of empowerment - something that depression or anxiety can take away from us.

At the end of the day, understanding the connection between food and happiness unlocks unique insights into ourselves that allow us to remediate any uncomfortable feelings towards food.