Navigating life with dual diagnoses: my story

I remember the first time it clicked, the moment that my unexplainable thoughts and feelings finally made sense. I had just been diagnosed with depression and anxiety, two major challenges that I would need to overcome to live my life to the fullest. My journey of navigating life with dual diagnoses was about to start.

It hasn’t always been easy. When things get tough, I am tempted to slip back into old habits or wallow in my worries. But I have developed strategies over the years that help me cope despite my diagnosis. Exercise has become an integral part of my weekly routine and there’s nothing like a good sweat session when it comes to managing stress levels! Therapies like CBT have also played a part in helping me come to terms with my diagnosis and work through problems as they present themselves.

Learning when to ask for help is another important tool when trying to navigate life with dual diagnoses. It can be overwhelming at times and having supportive people around makes a world of difference. While some days are harder than others, ultimately we all have our own set of burdens and knowing that helps me stay positive no matter what comes up on any given day.

Living with dual diagnoses is not something people should face alone, nor should one feel ashamed of their struggles - reaching out for help simply means you’re taking responsibility for your mental health goals and working towards living your best life.

1 Like

Thank you for sharing your experience! It’s really inspiring to hear how you’ve found ways to cope with your diagnoses. I can totally relate to the temptation to slip back into old habits when things get tough. I also find exercise to be a huge help when it comes to managing stress. It’s amazing to hear that CBT has been helpful for you as well. And you’re so right about the importance of asking for help and surrounding yourself with supportive people. It’s true that we all have our own set of burdens, and it’s okay to reach out for help. You’re definitely not alone in this, and you’re doing an awesome job taking responsibility for your mental health goals. Keep staying positive and working towards living your best life! You’ve got this.