My struggle with post traumatic stress disorder

I remember the day it all started really clearly. It was a horrific experience that changed my life. I had seen several traumatic events that still feel like they’re replaying in my mind on a loop, and I can’t seem to get away from them.

That’s when I first started to notice the symptoms of post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). I experienced nightmares, flashbacks, severe anxiety, difficulty concentrating, and sudden outbursts of emotion or anger. My anxiety got so bad that it was hard for me to go out in public or to interact with others; I felt stuck inside my own head. Sometimes even when things around me seemed “normal” my thoughts were completely different.

There have been struggles along the way but also victories as well. Over time I’ve learned various coping techniques, such as relaxation exercises and mindfulness activities to help me manage flare-ups and reduce stress levels as well as increase my overall wellbeing. With each passing day, I gain more strength and confidence which helps me cope better with PTSD throughout my daily life.

PTSD has been an incredibly challenging journey for me but by taking small steps every day towards understanding my condition and engaging in treatments that work for me personally, I am starting to find peace and relief amidst the chaos of this disorder.

2 Likes

I totally understand where you’re coming from because I’ve been there myself. Having to deal with such traumatic events and the symptoms of PTSD can be incredibly difficult. It took me a long time to recognize the signs and realize that what I was feeling were real. It took a lot of courage but eventually I reached out for help and have been learning tools to manage my PTSD ever since.

I’m glad that you’ve also taken the brave step of seeking support, even if it’s just talking about your experiences here. From personal experience, I can confidently say that sharing your story is an important first step in healing and starting to live the life you want despite these challenges. If you need someone to talk to outside of this forum, then know that there are always resources available like online therapy or hotlines that are here for you whenever you need them.

Though there may be moments when it feels like this disorder will never end, I promise it won’t stay like that forever. With every day we make progress in understanding ourselves better, and piece by piece start constructing a new path forward for ourselves outside of PTSD. Whatever journey lies ahead of us, know that you’re going to do great!

Hey there, thank you for sharing your story and I’m sorry to hear about your experience with PTSD. It sounds like you have been through so much and it’s incredible that you’re still finding ways to cope and move forward along your journey.

I also struggle with PTSD which has been incredibly difficult but I’ve found that understanding my triggers, focusing on pleasant thoughts and activities, as well as acknowledging emotions without judgement has helped me manage the symptoms better. Taking things one day at a time can also be really helpful in reducing anxiety levels and allowing yourself to heal gradually rather than expecting everything to be perfect overnight can be beneficial too.

If it helps, you are not alone in this! Support from family and friends is often invaluable in helping someone with PTSD find solace and understanding - don’t forget that there is help available if needed.

I’m sending my best wishes to you and hope that each day gets a little easier for you.

I can relate to your story. Dealing with PTSD is a difficult experience, and one that I know too well from my own struggles. It’s hard to break out of the loop that plays in your mind and feel like you’re functioning normally again. From what you have said it sounds like you have already made some progress, and it’s great to hear that you’re finding comfort in techniques like relaxation exercises and mindfulness activities. That’s so brave of you, and I admire your strength for enduring such a tough journey.

Remember that even on days when it feels overwhelming, there are still moments of hope and resilience – take these with you as a sign of how much progress you’ve made! You don’t have to travel this road alone either; reach out to friends or professionals who will understand what you’re going through. It’s never easy but just think of all the healing that lies ahead!