My struggle with ocd and anxiety

I’ve been living with OCD and anxiety for a few years now, and it’s something that I’m constantly trying to manage. I spend hours worrying about thoughts that, realistically, are unlikely to happen or have very little impact on me if they do occur. It leads to a lot of unnecessary stress in my life, and I can feel like I’m fighting against myself all the time.

One of the things that often trips me up is intrusive thoughts. My head is constantly full of ideas and worries about situations that haven’t happened yet or will never materialize, leading to a cycle of fear and rumination. There have been times where it’s all become too much and I find myself stuck in an anxious spiral for days on end.

It’s important for me to know how to look after myself when it comes to managing my OCD and anxiety. Different strategies work better at different times, but generally speaking I rely on mindfulness techniques such as deep breathing exercises which help me properly assess where my anxiety is coming from so I can bust out of the cycle sooner rather than later. Going outside definitely helps too – getting some fresh air and focusing on things in the real world.

It’s also really helpful for me to talk through how I’m feeling with people who understand what this experience is like. It can be difficult at first - particularly if you don’t feel comfortable talking about your anxieties - but it can make an enormous difference afterwards!

Everyone’s experience of living with OCD and anxiety is different, so there is no one-size-fits-all solution when it comes to tackling these issues; finding what works best for you takes time and research. Having said that, knowing that other people are out there dealing with similar struggles gives me a sense of unity and support - just knowing that someone else understands helps make the journey easier at times!

2 Likes

Hey there,
I’m so sorry to hear about all the stress and worry you’re going through. I know that managing OCD and anxiety is really tough, and it can feel like an uphill battle at times. Your post resonates with me in particular because I’m a 53-year-old man dealing with similar worries.

I find that getting outside into nature helps tremendously. There’s something so calming for me about being surrounded by the beauty of the natural world - it reconnects me with my own sense of peace and allows me to take a step away from the mental noise. I also make sure to practice personal care through activities such as yoga or reading books that keep my creative energy flowing. These exercises provide moments of relief even when dealing with the most overwhelming feelings of anxiety and fear.

Especially in these uncertain times, finding ways to reach out for support is key. Through online platforms like this one, we can come together to understand each other’s experiences, exchange tips on how we manage our anxieties, or just offer a listening ear when needed the most. It takes courage to do so, but those connections make it easier for us to cope with difficult situations that come our way.

Sending lots of

Hi there,

I completely relate to what you’re going through. Living with OCD and anxiety can be very overwhelming, and it’s easy to get caught in a cycle of worry that’s hard to break out of. It’s admirable that you are trying so hard to manage this experience for yourself.

To help you tackle your anxieties, I would suggest trying mindfulness-based techniques like deep breathing exercises and going outdoors more often. Being in nature helps me gain perspective by putting things into perspective - my anxieties don’t feel quite as bad when set against the beauty of the world around us.

It can also be really helpful to find someone to talk with about your worries who understands what living with OCD and anxiety is like; having such a supportive person in your corner allows you avoid getting stuck ruminating on the same issues over and over again. My suggestion would be joining an online support group – not only will it help boost your sense of community and solidarity, but it will also give you access to resources Richard Branson – advice from others who have gone through similar situations.

Overall, learning how best to look after yourself during this difficult process takes some trial and error. But it is possible! I wish you