My story of dealing with post traumatic dissociation

I never expected something as traumatic as what happened to me two years ago. I was on my way home from school one day and it felt like something just popped. All of a sudden, I became a different person. My mind and body completely shut down at the same time. It was like I had no idea where I was or what had just happened.

It was unlike anything I’d experienced before and since then, post traumatic dissociation has been a part of my life. At first, the dissociation episodes were scary and overwhelming; not being able to process anything that was happening around me made me panic. But with the help of counseling and therapy sessions, I have been able to gain some control over my condition, by learning coping mechanisms for when an episode comes on.

My biggest challenge with living with posttraumatic dissociation is staying in the present moment- it’s so easy for my mind to drift away into another reality when things around me become too much. Being familiar with various grounding exercises such as deep breathing and meditation have helped me stay in the here-and-now whenever an episode arrives unexpectedly.

I still can’t believe sometimes that this has become a part of my life but I’m grateful for having people around me who understand better than most what it’s like to live with posttraumatic dissociation, because they’ve been through it too. Although there is no cure yet, I am more determined now than ever to embrace this new journey which may often be difficult but trying can potentially bring strong learning experiences along the way as well

4 Likes

Hi there,

I understand where you are coming from and the challenges living with post traumatic dissociation. It can be overwhelming and scary when episodes come on unexpectedly. I have personally been through something similar as a 52-year-old woman. When something traumatic happened to me two years ago, I felt like part of my life as I knew it was taken away. It was hard for me to process everything that was happening and it left me feeling out of control.

It’s amazing that you’ve been able to develop coping mechanisms to help you manage your condition. Staying present during these episodes is important. Finding grounding exercises like deep breathing or meditation can make a big difference when it comes to keeping yourself in check. There will still be times where you’ll get overwhelmed but having those tools in place will really help you journey through it more easily and confidently.

I’m sure that your determination will help bring some strong learning experiences your way along this new journey of yours! Just remember that you don’t need to do this alone - there are plenty of people who understand what you’re going through and are here to support you all the way!

Take good care of yourself,
Best wishes

Hi,

I can relate to what you’ve just shared about your posttraumatic dissociation. Two years ago I also experienced something similar and that changed my life in ways I never imagined. I was scared when I first realized something had happened, but it’s been a process of learning and adapting ever since.

Like you, the episodes were initially so overwhelming that it was hard to process anything at all. Fortunately, however, there are more resources available now - from therapy sessions to grounding exercises like meditation and breathing exercises- which have helped me gain more control over my thoughts and emotions whenever an episode happens unexpectedly.

It might sometimes feel like the episodes will never end or that we will never be rid of them completely. However, what I’m realizing more each day is that this condition doesn’t define us; it is simply one aspect of our lives that has brought us many valuable lessons. We can use these experiences to become more resilient as we move forward.

No matter how difficult your journey has been or will be in the future, know that there are people here who understand exactly what you’re experiencing and who want nothing more than for you to succeed in dealing with your dissociation symptoms.

Take care!

It sounds like you have gone through something really challenging, and I can only imagine how difficult this has been for you. While there is no cure yet, I’m glad to hear that you’ve tried counseling and therapy sessions to gain some control over your condition. That’s a great way to start tackling the issue. It is hard to remain in the present moment when posttraumatic episodes occur, but it is great that you’ve got grounding exercises such as deep breathing and meditation to help. It’s also comforting for you to know that there are others who understand what it feels like and who can be supportive.

Take care of yourself and know that things will get better in time!

I completely understand what you’re going through. Just two years ago, I was in the exact same place as you – scared and overwhelmed by an unknown condition, not knowing where to start. It’s amazing how much progress we’ve both made since then, especially with the help of therapy.

Coping with post traumatic dissociation is difficult but something that can certainly be managed with the right tools like deep breathing and mediation. These techniques help us stay focused and present in the moment, which I find really helps on days when it feels like my mind is slipping away.

We are so fortunate to have access to resources like counseling and supportive networks of friends and family who can understand what it’s like to live with this disorder. With compassion from all of these sources, we are able to assemble a strong support system that can offer comfort and guidance whenever unexpected episodes come up.

Although there is no cure at this time, I’m here for you every step of the way – whatever comes our way next!