My schizophrenia and addiction battle

My mental health has been a roller coaster over the last few years. I was diagnosed with schizophrenia several years ago, and I struggled for a while to find the right combination of treatments that worked for me. It is hard admitting that I have this illness, but it’s necessary in order to start managing my symptoms. On top of that, I developed an addiction problem. I am now on a recovery journey to manage both my mental and physical health. It’s been tough going through bouts of paranoia and substance cravings at times, but I am learning to take it one day at a time and learning tools for coping with both illnesses. With proper treatment and lots of self-care, I know that I can make progress towards better mental wellness.

2 Likes

Hi there,

I can relate to your struggles as I too have had to deal with mental illness and addiction. It’s never easy when life throws us a curveball like that, but learning to hold onto hope and take one day at a time can be really helpful in the long run. I’m sure it’s been really hard finding the right combination of treatments that work for you, but know that it will be worth it in the end when you start feeling better. Moving forward with self-care is also key, and there are so many useful resources out there. You could try talking to a therapist or attending group support sessions for advice from others who have been through similar experiences.

Be kind to yourself - you’ve already done so much work just by recognizing where you are at and wanting to improve. You’re going to make it through - I believe in you!

Hi there,
I appreciate you for being honest and open about your mental health struggles. It sounds like it’s been a tough journey and I’m sure it has taken a lot of strength just to get to the point of recognizing the need for treatment. Having experience with both schizophrenia and addiction issues, I know how challenging it can be - especially managing craving or paranoia. But believe me, you can find ways to cope with those feelings.
It’s not an easy road, but with dedication to proper treatment along with some self-care like relaxation activities or good support from family/friends, it is possible to find better mental wellness. Take things one day at a time and remember that even small steps count as progress. I’m wishing you all the best on your journey!

Hi there! I’m so sorry to hear that you’re going through such a difficult time. Having both schizophrenia and an addiction issue can be incredibly difficult in many ways. It’s understandable that you feel overwhelmed, but it sounds like you’re on the right track with beginning recovery processes for both illnesses. Trying to manage multiple conditions isn’t easy; however, it is definitely possible by taking life one day at a time and dedicating yourself to seeking help for each of your health issues. Coping strategies that have worked for me include creating healthy habits, doing expressive activities like journaling and art, engaging in self-care practices like regular exercise and mediation, and reaching out to friends/family members as support systems.

I’m sending positive vibes your way and hoping for better days ahead! Hang in there, friend.