My recovery from alcohol use disorder

It has been a long and difficult road to get here, but I’m proud to say I am now in recovery from alcohol use disorder. While it certainly hasn’t been easy, with hard work and determination I am living a life free of alcohol and have much more control over my life.

My journey began when I found myself surrounded by negative influences that encouraged me to use alcohol as an outlet for my emotions. This led to me abusing alcohol, resulting in negative consequences that quickly snowballed out of control. It was then that I knew I had to make a change.

I sought help from professionals who guided me through recovery - counselling sessions, rehab stays, group meetings - none of which were easy, but all provided necessary support throughout the process. The journey wasn’t always easy or smooth - there were many days where I felt like giving up - but with the help of family and friends every small step eventually made the biggest difference in how I felt about my life.

Through recovery, I have gained so many new perspectives on life: both in terms of understanding my own behaviours around substance misuse, but also in developing healthier relationships with myself and those around me. Recovery isn’t just about abstaining from substances; it is about creating a positive lifestyle that will bring stability into one’s life.

The road to recovery is never over, but today I can proudly say that I have taken back control over my life and sobriety is now priority number one.