My postpartum ptsd story

I remember, so clearly, after giving birth to my child. I was filled with an indescribable joy; something that no other experience could compare to! But gradually, something strange started to happen. I began having constant nightmares and flashbacks of the traumatic events during labor. I had intrusive thoughts and fears about my child’s safety and mine.

At first, I felt like I was going crazy. My emotions felt so out of control sometimes that it would often take away from my enjoyment in being a new mom. I tried to deal with these feelings on my own, but soon realized it was more than just the “baby blues.”

Fortunately, I was able to get help from a mental health professional who diagnosed me with Postpartum PTSD (PTSD-P). With counseling and medication, I slowly started to feel better. It took a lot of work, patience and courage to get here - but it was worth every step of the journey!

My story is not unique - unfortunately many mothers experience postpartum PTSD, yet often feel alone in their struggles. It’s really important for people who are struggling to know they are not alone and they can receive help. If you or someone you know is facing similar symptoms, please seek help from a skilled therapist who specializes in postpartum mental health issues prior to making any decisions about their recovery journey.

1 Like

Hi there–I am sorry to hear that you have been struggling with flashbacks and intrusive thoughts after having your child. It sounds like a very difficult and lonely experience, and it’s wonderful that you were able to reach out and get the help you needed.

My name is Linda and I’m 57. Just like you, I remember the indescribable joy of becoming a parent - something that will never be replicated in any other experience. But things don’t always go as smoothly as we’d hope. It takes strength and courage to be able to see our struggles for what they are, listen to our gut feelings, and take steps toward managing our mental health in a healthy way. You did exactly that by seeking out professional help, and for that I admire you!

As an older mom, I want young moms going through similar situations to know that they are not alone - there are resources available to them that provide both emotional support and professional help should they need it. One source I often refer families to is Postpartum Support International (www.postpartumsupportinternational.org). They offer comprehensive information about perinatal mental illness including risk factors, signs/symptoms as well as local resources available for specific types of care and support